More Smoked Venison Snack Sticks

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, October 19, 2015, 03:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Made another 10 lb batch yesterday, they turned out pretty well.  I used Greg's spicy snack stick recipe except that I doubled the peppers and hot sauce and added some coriander seeds.  This makes for sticks with a pretty good bite, not for everyone but this recipe has made me a hero with the boys at our cottage getaway.  Thanks Greg, it really is a good recipe.

pensrock

Glad you liked them, it is a good starter recipe.  :)

Orion

Your sticks look great. That's the way I like the too...HOT.

Could you share with me what casings you are using? I'm just getting started on this road and I find the vast amount of  casings available is a bit confusing.

I'm interested in edible and natural if possible. What size casing fits on the 1/2 " stuffing tube for pepperoni ? Plan to make some 1" salami too and wondering what casings work well for that? Thanks.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Sniper-T

I use a horn style press and always have a hell of a time pressing into 1/2" casings.  I end up watering the meat mix down a lot, with mixed results.  please share!

WoodlawnSmoker

Thanks guys, this may have been my best batch yet, they disappeared fast.  I know what you mean about the difficulty of stuffing into half inch casings.  I went to a 22 mm (0.9 inches) sized casing, just a bit bigger than traditional but makes the stuffing go much easier, I use them every time for snack sticks now.  They are 22mm edible collagen casings, they take the smoke very nicely.  I think I would go with 25 mm or even 30 mm for pepperoni.