22lbs pork shoulder from costco

Started by ghosttown, October 21, 2015, 12:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

The smallest pork shoulder Costco has is about 22lbs. Like I mentioned in the other post I will be doing pulled pork this weekend and I am not going to use no where near that.  What else can I make with the remaining stuff? I do have a food saver so I can seal what I want, keep in mind I dont have a Sausage Stuffer or anything like that.

Thanks

WoodlawnSmoker

Why don't you just cut it in half, use one half now and freeze the other half to smoke another time.  I will do that if I'm not making sausage with the other half.

Ka Honu

... or smoke the whole thing and freeze what you don't use for later (in manageable portions - I go with 1- or 1.5-pound bags). Gently reheated pulled pork is usually better than the original - the smoke and flavors have had time to meld.

Wildcat

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 21, 2015, 04:31:59 PM
... or smoke the whole thing and freeze what you don't use for later (in manageable portions - I go with 1- or 1.5-pound bags). Gently reheated pulled pork is usually better than the original - the smoke and flavors have had time to meld.

Ditto.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tskeeter

Ghost, I think your package of pork shoulder contains two shoulders.  The ones I buy at Costco do.

ghosttown

Ka Honu good point, tskeeter that is what I thought so I called Costco and the guy wasn't sure lol

ghosttown

Well not sure what the guy was talking about, I went to costco and it seems they only sell the pork shoulder by the case and you must buy the whole case which is 3 shoulders in a bag. That is alot of meat and alot of money roughly $130 a case. I guess will call another costco and check as I was told a person got a twin pack before.

tskeeter

What?  I buy cryopacked boneless pork shoulder out of the meat case, two shoulders per pack, at our Costco all the time.  If I buy a full case, I get a discount.  I think about 10 percent.

TedEbear

Unless they've changed things at Costco since 2011 they sell them in smaller sizes than 22 lbs.

Pin_Erangte

Is it a Butt or a Ham.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

beefmann

Quote from: Pin_Erangte on October 27, 2015, 08:25:23 AM
Is it a Butt or a Ham.

"smirks " Its not a Ham till its cured ! ! !

Pin_Erangte

Pin_Erangte

Quote from: beefmann on October 27, 2015, 04:41:39 PM
Quote from: Pin_Erangte on October 27, 2015, 08:25:23 AM
Is it a Butt or a Ham.

"smirks " Its not a Ham till its cured ! ! !
There is a fresh ham and a shoulder. The shoulder is call a Butt because that is what the container was that they shipped it in.

ghosttown

They don't carry the shoulder butts anymore that size here in CANADA located in Ottawa

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk