Temp. runaway on modified BTDS108P

Started by porterdriver, November 03, 2015, 10:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

porterdriver

I have about a 5 year old Bradley Digital, 6-rack smoker.  Has been tinkered with a fair bit.  I use an Auber PID and have upgraded to a 900 Watt heating element.  This is an established and functioning setup, unmodified for a few years now.

Last night, I put a pork shoulder on, set the Auber to cook at 215°F and food probe set to 190°F.  Smoke generator started for 4 hours of smoke and went back to bed.  When I woke up this morning, the box temp (as shown on the PID) was almost 270°F. This was confirmed by my Maverick's smoker probe in the box. The smoke generator was working as normal.

The problem as best the I have been able to diagnose is that the Auber is kicking the element on but either the cabinet thermostat is not sensing the correct temp and sending the shutdown signal to the Auber, or the Auber is not seeing that shutdown signal.

I have tried the Auber using both food temp as the trigger as well as time.  The cabinet temp still runs away to about 270°F.  I have tried using a different 'cycle' on the Auber in case there was something wrong with the C1 circuit.  No joy.

I'm lost.  Any ideas?

beefmann

am thinking that they  may be a few issues

1) corrosion on the connections
2) bad / loose  connection some where
3)  sensor failing hence the temp going high
4) PID going bad

check all connections  try again,, if  not call auber

Orion

Quote from: porterdriver on November 03, 2015, 10:07:14 AM
I have about a 5 year old Bradley Digital, 6-rack smoker.  Has been tinkered with a fair bit.  I use an Auber PID and have upgraded to a 900 Watt heating element.  This is an established and functioning setup, unmodified for a few years now.

Last night, I put a pork shoulder on, set the Auber to cook at 215°F and food probe set to 190°F.  Smoke generator started for 4 hours of smoke and went back to bed.  When I woke up this morning, the box temp (as shown on the PID) was almost 270°F. This was confirmed by my Maverick's smoker probe in the box. The smoke generator was working as normal.

The problem as best the I have been able to diagnose is that the Auber is kicking the element on but either the cabinet thermostat is not sensing the correct temp and sending the shutdown signal to the Auber, or the Auber is not seeing that shutdown signal.

I have tried the Auber using both food temp as the trigger as well as time.  The cabinet temp still runs away to about 270°F.  I have tried using a different 'cycle' on the Auber in case there was something wrong with the C1 circuit.  No joy.

I'm lost.  Any ideas?

Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't run an Auber PID yet but I was under the impression the Auber probe for cabinet temperature takes full control of the element thus the original cabinet thermostat only gives a signal to the cabinet temp display. In other words, temperature levels are controlled solely by the PID?
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.