Which Smoker to get?

Started by Zeev, October 27, 2015, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeev

Hello all,

New to the form and new to the smoking scene.  I am debating on which Bradley smoker to get.   I have narrow my choices to the Original 4 rack or Digital 4 rack version.   I am located in Ontario Canada and currently Canadian Tire has the Original on sale for 329.99 cdn and the Digital for 449.99.   I can price match with Lowes and get the digital for 439.99+ tax.

My question is which one to get.  Other then being able to set a temperature on the Digital and see the temperature is their any other differences?   I would be willing to do some of the modifications I have heard about.     I would be mostly smoking chicken, beef and fish..   would like to try making some smoked chicken breast and beef brisket etc..

Your help would be appreciated.

beefmann

The Digital has time limits, If memory serves right ,, on both the  smoke and the cook times are at 10 hours each,,, Most apply smoke for  2 to 4 hours, and cook anywhere from 4 to 24 or 28 hours ... ( I can be corrected on the Timer issue by some one that  owns a  digital )

i own a original non digital that i have  put a Pid in to control the heat,, ,a  Timer that controls the duration of  smoke, Along  with a 900 watt finned element and  blower to circulate the air, and have no  issues with the  unit...

Bottom line save the  money , Start off with the  non digital unit,,, get  use to  smoking first .

other items to get as well

remote thermometer
a variety  pack of pucks,
puck savers

if you  are  going to be  doing  fish ,, an auber pid is thje  way to  go,, more precise temperature control when  doing fish,,,If in the future you  might be  doing sausages ... you  would need the  ramp and  soak pid also through  auber  interments,,, 

im sure others  will be along  with there  input,,, if you  have  more  questions... ask

Wildcat

Original hands down. You can do anything with the original right out of the box. Modifications can be fun and/or helpful for some applications, but for things like beef, pork, chicken, and venison, no modifications are needed. Get the original and play with it first. Be patient and do not rush things. I do recommend that you purchase a good accurate dual probe thermometer as the Bradley is seriously lacking in temp readings.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Zeev

Quote from: Wildcat on October 28, 2015, 02:24:12 PM
Original hands down. You can do anything with the original right out of the box. Modifications can be fun and/or helpful for some applications, but for things like beef, pork, chicken, and venison, no modifications are needed. Get the original and play with it first. Be patient and do not rush things. I do recommend that you purchase a good accurate dual probe thermometer as the Bradley is seriously lacking in temp readings.

I am leaning towards the Original and modifying it with the PID and upgrading to 750 watts from 500 wats etc.  So my next question were can I find those items in Canada?  With the exchange rate were it is currently it looks like the savings from buying in the U.S will evaporate (Once you factor in exchange and any duties)

Wildcat

Can't help with where to purchase in Canada. I added  a PID and a cold smoke adapter but nothing else. No real need. I do low and slow with the Bradey, rarely taking it over 210 F. When I want higher temps I use a pellet grill/smoker. I also have a large charcoal/hard wood grill/smoker. The right tool for the job type of thing.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TedEbear

Quote from: Zeev on October 28, 2015, 02:42:46 PM
I am leaning towards the Original and modifying it with the PID and upgrading to 750 watts from 500 wats etc.  So my next question were can I find those items in Canada?  With the exchange rate were it is currently it looks like the savings from buying in the U.S will evaporate (Once you factor in exchange and any duties)

Canadian Modifications

That thread has lots of links on where to buy.

renoman

If you plan on doing a lots of sausage I would recommend the 6 rack for the additional height. The max your chubs can be in the 4 racks are 14"

ghosttown

Quote from: Zeev on October 28, 2015, 02:42:46 PM
Quote from: Wildcat on October 28, 2015, 02:24:12 PM

See the Canadian modification link below, in there I posted links of where I got everything. Keep in mind us Canadians pay more for the items but never the less modifying the smoker make a huge difference in heat loss and recovering from it. I now get the smoker up to 2:25 in minutes.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

dawgpound44035

I like my 6 rack digital. Works great for me. Love the ease of use

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk