Bacon Smoking temp

Started by Technopauper, November 01, 2015, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technopauper

I follow the usual Canadian bacon instructions to the letter but am wondering if I need to take the internal temp up to 140 (ie fully cooked) if I always intend to cook the bacon afterwards - I want to make a more equivalent to british bacon which is just cured only with some smoke too but uncooked texture ahead of actually cooking ?

Any safety reasons I have to fully cook if I intend to refrigerate after t=smoking and then freeze ?

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?311-Canadian-Bacon&p=500#post500

Thanks in advance for the advice

Rob

beefmann

Rob,,,

I have made 100's of  pounds of Canadian bacon over the  years and always take it to 140 F I.T.. I feel it is  better to be safe then sorry later,,, i feel that  some of this  is debatable from what i  have heard,, everything from the  curing process protects the meat and at that  point is  cooked,, to its  not done till it hits 140 F in the  first go round,,,

my opinion it is always better  to play it safe and go the extra distance ,, cure the  meat and  cook / smoke till 140 F... i have done 15 to  20 lbs on average and generally smoke at  225 F to an  it of 140 - 145 F and  pull,,, and am totally done with up to  20  lbs generally under 4 hours, some times 5 depending on the  meat, outside  temps and conditions,,

beef

Habanero Smoker

I have fully cooked Canadian bacon to 140°F, and also left it completely uncooked and unsmoked, to make peameal bacon, which is not cooked until you are ready to consume it. I will slice, dip it in egg wash, give it another coat of cornmeal on all sides, and then fry it prior to consuming it.

I don't see why you can't, since it is fully cured, and curing extend the self life. It would be similar to smoking belly bacon to only 132°F; which several members do, then fully cooking it before eating it, or if you leave it completely raw, it would be the same as how I make peameal bacon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)