Bookmarks 14 Bookmarks

Author Topic: 2nd Element, Fan and Burner Mod  (Read 16534 times)

Offline Orion

Re: 2nd Element, Fan and Burner Mod
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2016, 04:46:30 pm »
Ok, one more question and I promise to just get on with it and do it ;)

If you're not adding the inline fuse and temp sensor is there any advantage to wiring it in parallel rather than hooking the new element up to the old one as TedEBear did?

It seems to me that this route would mean the new element is protected by the existing in-line first, the same as the old one. I'd assume that's not a good as a dedicated fuse for each but better than nothing... I'm useless at electrics though so happy to be corrected. Looks a lot simpler to do too of course :D

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Hello wurzel,

I'm no electrical wizard either. I wired my second 500 watt element completely independent of the original one because I had a surplus of appropriate high temp wire and I felt that the factory wiring used to power the original element might not be sufficient to carry the current for the additional element.

For this reason I ran a wire from each end of the second element all the way back through rear panel and connected them directly to the power source where the original element wires get their power. If the wiring for the first element ever fails the second element will still work and vise versa.

As far as the thermal fuse; if you wire the unit like I did, each element should have one as each element has power available in an overheat situation. However, if you simply jump the second element off the terminals on the first element an overheat situation should interrupt power to both elements in an over heat situation.

Personally, I never leave my smoker unattended for more than an hour and even then I'm not far away. I know they are designed to be fully automatic and safe but I simply won't take the chance as people have had fires for various reasons including failures to load the smoker correctly or clean it properly.

Wire it either way and simply keep a reasonable eye on it is my advise.   
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Create account for free at www.photobucket.com
Load selected pictures to your album
Left click on picture you want to post
Left click on IMG to copy (lower of 4 options)
Paste into your post
Viola!

Offline wurzel

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2016, 03:07:47 pm »
Good point orion, I hadn't thought about one element working if the other goes. Definitely worth the extra hassle to not lose a whole smoker full of meat if the worst does happen. Thanks for that.

I couldn't figure out if it was OK to connect both wires into a single spade connector, that pic is blurry in both Mr. Walleye's and test rocket's instructions. After a while I found this though http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-spade-terminal-piggy-back-connecters-red-l26ay

Seems like it'll do the job nicely without making me check it every 10 minutes in case my dodgy wiring has burnt my garage down :D

“Heaven sends us good meat, but the devil sends us cooks.”

David Garrick

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2016, 01:28:19 am »
Good point orion, I hadn't thought about one element working if the other goes. Definitely worth the extra hassle to not lose a whole smoker full of meat if the worst does happen. Thanks for that.

I couldn't figure out if it was OK to connect both wires into a single spade connector, that pic is blurry in both Mr. Walleye's and test rocket's instructions. After a while I found this though http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-spade-terminal-piggy-back-connecters-red-l26ay

Seems like it'll do the job nicely without making me check it every 10 minutes in case my dodgy wiring has burnt my garage down :D

Connecting the hot wire from the second element to the spade that contains the hot wire at the back of the cabinet, and the neutral wire from the second element to the spade that contains the neutral wire at the back of the cabinet; is how Mr. Walleye connected the wiring.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline TedEbear

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2016, 04:25:45 am »

If you wire them in parallel with a short 3-4" loop of wire at each end of the two elements, the way I did several years ago, it will not matter if one element goes out.

Offline Orion

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2016, 06:38:55 pm »

Hello wurzel,

I'm no electrical wizard either. I wired my second 500 watt element completely independent of the original one because I had a surplus of appropriate high temp wire and I felt that the factory wiring used to power the original element might not be sufficient to carry the current for the additional element.

For this reason I ran a wire from each end of the second element all the way back through rear panel and connected them directly to the power source where the original element wires get their power. If the wiring for the first element ever fails the second element will still work and vise versa.

As far as the thermal fuse; if you wire the unit like I did, each element should have one as each element has power available in an overheat situation. However, if you simply jump the second element off the terminals on the first element an overheat situation should interrupt power to both elements in an over heat situation.

Personally, I never leave my smoker unattended for more than an hour and even then I'm not far away. I know they are designed to be fully automatic and safe but I simply won't take the chance as people have had fires for various reasons including failures to load the smoker correctly or clean it properly.

Wire it either way and simply keep a reasonable eye on it is my advise.

Just to clarify my previous post...wiring the second element in parallel to the original and running the wires for the second element from the spade connectors at the rear wall connector ensures the second element still runs in the event the wiring supplying the original element fails.

If the elements are wired in parallel, it doesn't matter if you run the wires all the way from the spade connectors or simply use 3-4" jumpers to connect the second element...either way if an element fails the other will still work.

Let us know how you make out wurzel.

Paste into your post
Viola!

Offline wurzel

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2016, 11:08:50 am »
A little update;

Got the second element in and working. I've done it in parallel to the spade connectors, I already had the piggy back connectors and wanted to use them

Connected it up to the pid to check and I was so pleased with myself when I saw both elements come on, first mod like this I've ever done and it worked thanks to you fellas.

Put it on today to get my brisket and butt in at 6am... Elements working through the pid fine but lots of beeping from the Bradley, E1. Did all the fiddling to no avail, pulled the back off and found I'd disconnected one of the wires on the temp sensor. No problem, solder it back on and hey presto! Still lots of beeping and E1 nonsense... Couldn't figure it out, must have bust it while I was messing around back there. Found paulsnapp's post on the sensor bypass plug... Trip to the electronic store and a bit of soldering later and we're in action.

I lost a day on my cook but that's fine, I can live an extra day with no 'cue.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys, this forum is a godsend.

so pretty

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:56:32 pm by wurzel »
“Heaven sends us good meat, but the devil sends us cooks.”

David Garrick

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2016, 02:17:01 am »
The E1 error is caused by the sensor cable. Even though the PID is controlling the heat, you still must have the sensor cable plugged in for the generator to work and move the bisquettes to the heating pad. If the sensor cable is plugged in, make sure it is plugged in securely. If that is not the problem, take the back off and make sure that any of the wiring to the sensor hasn't been accidently disconnected.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline Orion

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2017, 06:52:24 am »
Bumping this to the top. There has been a lot of questions about second elements and puck burning and chute issues.

Paste into your post
Viola!