2nd Element, Fan and Burner Mod

Started by Orion, November 01, 2015, 07:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

Quote from: heli76 on February 18, 2018, 03:14:54 PM
What I read, many added a second heat element together with the existing one to the Bradley digital controller. What's the experience in the meanwhile? Does the controller handle the additional load without problems?
I plan to do the mod on 230V. But I'm not sure, if I should connect the second element to the controller without using a relay.
Regards,Helmut

Hey Helmut, In response to your question: As this thread explains, I simply added a second 500 watt element identical to the original and wired it to the spade connectors in the back wall of the cabinet where the first (original) element connects. The two elements are thus wired in 'parallel'. This installation has never failed or given me any problems. I just kept it simple and it works.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Orion

Quote from: heli76 on February 19, 2018, 12:55:45 PM
What's about the mod with the fan? Is it really  useful? It seems to me that not many installed a fan.

The fan I installed came from a convection oven and improves the heat distribution in the cabinet. Before the fan was put in I found the lower racks saw far more heat than the top one and I had to rotate the racks from top to bottom frequently on long cooks to ensure the lower racks did not overcook before the top was done. Now I rotate racks less and when I do it's primarily front to back rather than top to bottom. It also helps dispel the moisture when food is first put in.

heli76

Quote from: Orion on February 19, 2018, 06:03:42 PM
Quote from: heli76 on February 18, 2018, 03:14:54 PM
What I read, many added a second heat element together with the existing one to the Bradley digital controller. What's the experience in the meanwhile? Does the controller handle the additional load without problems?
I plan to do the mod on 230V. But I'm not sure, if I should connect the second element to the controller without using a relay.
Regards,Helmut

Hey Helmut, In response to your question: As this thread explains, I simply added a second 500 watt element identical to the original and wired it to the spade connectors in the back wall of the cabinet where the first (original) element connects. The two elements are thus wired in 'parallel'. This installation has never failed or given me any problems. I just kept it simple and it works.
Thanks, do you have both elements running on a digital version? 120V or 240V?

heli76

Quote from: Orion on February 19, 2018, 06:13:19 PM
Quote from: heli76 on February 19, 2018, 12:55:45 PM
What's about the mod with the fan? Is it really  useful? It seems to me that not many installed a fan.

The fan I installed came from a convection oven and improves the heat distribution in the cabinet. Before the fan was put in I found the lower racks saw far more heat than the top one and I had to rotate the racks from top to bottom frequently on long cooks to ensure the lower racks did not overcook before the top was done. Now I rotate racks less and when I do it's primarily front to back rather than top to bottom. It also helps dispel the moisture when food is first put in.
Are the fans also working while you are smoking? Does it push out the smoke more quickly?

Orion

I have both elements running in a 120 VAC Digital model. Works fine.

My fan is on a separate plug and I run it full bore after preheating the smoker and the meat I am smoking is in it's dry out/warm up stage. During this time I have the vent wide open. Then when I begin the smoke I just close the vent to about 2/3rd's open. After smoking I open the vent fully again.

Shasta bob

Has any one ever put a fan in that runs for 1 minute then off for 3 minutes like a timer? just food for thought.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

javp92

Quote from: Orion on February 20, 2018, 05:47:54 PM
I have both elements running in a 120 VAC Digital model. Works fine.

My fan is on a separate plug and I run it full bore after preheating the smoker and the meat I am smoking is in it's dry out/warm up stage. During this time I have the vent wide open. Then when I begin the smoke I just close the vent to about 2/3rd's open. After smoking I open the vent fully again.
Thinking about doing the dual element mod, just to be clear,  are you controlling both elements from the stock digital unit? No need to get a pid?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Gafala

No you will need to use a PID to control them.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

heli76

Today I checked the components on the PCB of my BDS (version for Europe with 240V).
The power relay for heating element can handle 1200W. (120VAC/10A, 240VAC/5A)
So the relay should be able to handle two elements. Also connectors and cables should have no problem with two elements on European version at 240V. There we only get a little over 4 Amps.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: heli76 on March 16, 2018, 11:16:30 AM
Today I checked the components on the PCB of my BDS (version for Europe with 240V).
The power relay for heating element can handle 1200W. (120VAC/10A, 240VAC/5A)
So the relay should be able to handle two elements. Also connectors and cables should have no problem with two elements on European version at 240V. There we only get a little over 4 Amps.

Don't forget to calculate the watts that the bisquette burner will be pulling.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

heli76

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 16, 2018, 02:21:53 PM
Don't forget to calculate the watts that the bisquette burner will be pulling.

Bisquette burner has it's own power relay as it's switched separately.
PCB has three identical relays for:
- heating element
- bisquette burner
- bisquette feeder

Orion

Quote from: javp92 on March 11, 2018, 07:54:16 AM
Thinking about doing the dual element mod, just to be clear,  are you controlling both elements from the stock digital unit? No need to get a pid?

Hey Javp92, I DO NOT use a Pid for temperature control. For my needs , the original temperature control combined with the two 500 watt elements  works just fine. If you require really precise temperature control then a Pid would be recommended. I couldn't justify the cost of a Pid to regulate temps in a smoke filled box to within 5 degrees +/- as opposed to within 20 degrees +/-. 

Orion

Quote from: heli76 on March 16, 2018, 03:37:59 PM

Bisquette burner has it's own power relay as it's switched separately.
PCB has three identical relays for:
- heating element
- bisquette burner
- bisquette feeder

Great to know, thanks.

Edward176

So Orion, if I'm reading your posts correctly you've been running your smoker with 2 x 500w heating elements without a PID without any issues? As heli76 posted the bisquette runs off its on circuit, so it works without issues without a PID? 

javp92

Quote from: Orion on March 16, 2018, 04:02:32 PM
Quote from: javp92 on March 11, 2018, 07:54:16 AM

Hey Javp92, I DO NOT use a Pid for temperature control. For my needs , the original temperature control combined with the two 500 watt elements  works just fine. If you require really precise temperature control then a Pid would be recommended. I couldn't justify the cost of a Pid to regulate temps in a smoke filled box to within 5 degrees +/- as opposed to within 20 degrees +/-.
Thx for the reply! Will try this mod soon!