Venison tenderloins

Started by dawgpound44035, November 02, 2015, 03:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgpound44035

Any tips on smoking these. I've never done venison before let alone cook it. Thanks for any tips you guys have.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

watchdog56

I have never smoked them but when I cook them either on the grill or stove I make sure they are pink in the middle. If they get well done then that is where you get a more wild taste. If you get them pink they are one the the most tender pieces of meat you will ever have. I season them only with Lawry's salt and garlic powder. They come out great.

Orion

Venison tenderloins are as lean and tender a meat as you will ever a chance to cook, provided the meat was handled properly from the harvest.

Personally, I would never put a venison tenderloin in a smoker. Smokers are slow and allow moisture to escape the meat and there is a lot of shrinkage.

I have eaten these tenderloins for years and IMO they are best cut crosswise into medallions about 3/4" thick and then placed in a glass dish. Give them a light coat of olive oil on all sides and dress with some fresh herbs: savoury, thyme, oregano ect but don't overdo it. Let them rest covered on the counter to come up to room temp while you prepare vegetables.

Then get a good cast iron pan quite hot with a bit of cooking oil and minced garlic. Throw your medallions in and sear them on one side, then the other. Then cook on medium heat until you start to see the juices rise out of the meat. Only takes a couple of minutes. Flip and a minute more and they are ready. As was mentioned don't overcook. A little minced garlic in the pan for the last two minutes is good.

Smokers are great but to dry out a venison tenderloin would be a shame.   

It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

pmmpete

Whether you're cooking venison or smoking venison, as Watchdog56 says, leave it pink in the middle.  If you cook venison past the pink stage, it suddenly gets tough.  If you leave it just a bit pink, any cut of venison will be quite tender and easy to cut and chew.

Sniper-T

I've smoked venison tenderloins, but a cold smoke, and only for about 40 minutes, just to impart some flavour before grilling or pan frying.  And to reiterate, don't over do.  Medium at most medium-rare is better.

Maple is my wood of choice for this.  The sweetness works really well with the meat.