To vent... or not to vent

Started by Sniper-T, October 16, 2015, 04:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

Wide open here but yet again I did do the 900 watt mod. Before that I kept it almost open all the way due to the moisture

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Shuswap

Hab, I was making English Maple Bacon according to a process used by a commercial processor.  After curing for a week and then, after rinsing and drying, adding another dusting of maple sugar for a 2nd week, I cold smoked in my OBS using a Pro Q smoke generator filled with oak dust. I did two 8 hour days of smoking then a fry test. The flavor was very bitter from creosote build up so, I believe, I have to increase the air flow in the smoker since the vent had been wide open. Because of this I skipped the 3rd day of cold smoking.  Many believe that 3 - 8 hour smokes is too much but I know that the process used by the commercial processor is widely sold in his region.  As for the oak dust, it came from my shop collected while doing a set of chairs.  BTW the ash in the Pro Q was pitch black.

Habanero Smoker

I don't want to hijack this thread. It would be better for you to start another thread. I'll also send you a PM on my thoughts about this smoking method.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gafala

I keep mine wide open all the time but that is just me.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Sniper-T

Quote from: Shuswap on October 29, 2015, 04:13:00 PM
Hab, I was making English Maple Bacon according to a process used by a commercial processor.  After curing for a week and then, after rinsing and drying, adding another dusting of maple sugar for a 2nd week, I cold smoked in my OBS using a Pro Q smoke generator filled with oak dust. I did two 8 hour days of smoking then a fry test. The flavor was very bitter from creosote build up so, I believe, I have to increase the air flow in the smoker since the vent had been wide open. Because of this I skipped the 3rd day of cold smoking.  Many believe that 3 - 8 hour smokes is too much but I know that the process used by the commercial processor is widely sold in his region.  As for the oak dust, it came from my shop collected while doing a set of chairs.  BTW the ash in the Pro Q was pitch black.

Interesting.  I too would like to see a thread on this.  And to hear HS' thoughts

KyNola

Quote from: Sniper-T on October 31, 2015, 02:35:14 PM
Quote from: Shuswap on October 29, 2015, 04:13:00 PM

Interesting.  I too would like to see a thread on this.  And to hear HS' thoughts
Ditto!