OK. I'm in the deep end now

Started by takem01, November 03, 2015, 05:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

takem01

Went and shot a hog. 325#. No belly meat to speak of. The guy that butchered it separated the butt & shank hams. Now where do I start?  I'm thinking a butt ham, brined and smoked.

beefmann

good  place to  start,,, dont  forget the loin for Canadian  bacon. shoulders for  pulled pork,,, and ribs

Habanero Smoker

By brining I'm thinking you are curing and not flavor brining. I'm not familiar with the size and taste of wild boar, but if you do brine the butt ends of the ham, I would also brine the shank ends also. Juniper berry helps to tame any gamey flavor, so including that in your brine may be helpful.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

takem01

It's not a Russian Boar. This is a place where they breed the Russians, but he used farm hogs as breeding stock. Already had some of the meat (chops).  It's 'supermarket' tasty, but it's free range and mostly organic (he does suppliment with feed).

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: takem01 on November 04, 2015, 10:18:45 AM
It's not a Russian Boar. This is a place where they breed the Russians, but he used farm hogs as breeding stock. Already had some of the meat (chops).  It's 'supermarket' tasty, but it's free range and mostly organic (he does suppliment with feed).

So it can be treated like commercial pork, but it does sound a little leaner. Curing the ham is a good place to start.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)