Newbie 750 or 900 Element Help

Started by bradleyincleveland, November 09, 2015, 01:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Sorry to here about your findings. Since they continuously tweak it for charcoal and wood, you would think if they continue to sell the Raptor, they would program settings in their Gurus so you can switch to those settings for electric smokers.

The Raptor is not designed to control the heat. The main function of the Raptor is a switch, that turns the power to the electric smoker on or off; according to the appropriate signal the DigiQ2 sends it. It is still the DigiQ2 that controls the temperature, and when to send those signals.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bradleyincleveland

I decided to go with the Auber and just return the raptor. Hate to pay for two PID's, but Iook at it this way I can cook for many more people using both my charcoal Weber and the Bradley. I like that the Auber is specifically designed for the Bradley and you can program different saved cooks. Hopefully can get a good cook in this weekend when my Auber comes in!

Habanero Smoker

With the changes they have made to the firmware in the Gurus, a dedicated temperature controller  built to control electric appliances is a better options. Though I am surprised that BBQ Guru did take the Raptor back.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bradleyincleveland

They have not yaken it back yet, will have a call into them tomorrow. Has been less than 30 days, that would be very poor customer service if so.

bradleyincleveland

I see the new Auber model I ordered has an input for the smoke generator. Since I have the "new" version of the OBS where the temperature control is contained within the smoke generator,  should I atill use the extra computer plug to connect directly to the wall socket, or should I now route it to the Auber?

bradleyincleveland

Email from Auber stated to connect the smoke generator to Auber. Not sure if anyone is operating the new OBS connected to the Auber or wall outlet? Any help appreciated.

Toker

bradleyincleveland

Thanks Toker. You have the new version OBS correct? Do you have two elements, and if so do you change the value on the Auber like I hear some people do? Haven't received the Auber yet, but is it easy to change the value on the Auber to compensate for both elements?

Toker

Here are the one I have + The DBS4 and 6.  ;D

Only my old Black has 2 elements for now and yes I had to change setting in my PID.

And I forgot The new Original XLT (6 rack)

bradleyincleveland

Wow, I gotta ask how many people you smoke for? So what do I do to change the settings for the two element?

Toker

I'M single :) It is not for how many persons i smoke for, it is that each smoker has his specialty. I always smoke fish in the same smoker, jerky in the same smoker... This way, no smell transfer and also, it is the best way to keep track of what you smoke in case of allergie. But it's just ME. You don't have to do it yourself  ;)

As far as the PID settings goes, what is your model number? Check the sticker under to see if you are not sure.  Anyway it is the same.

Press SET (hold few seconds) until you see LCK then use the UP arrow until 155 appear. Then, press SET until you see P then change the 70 (or 7) for 140 (or 14 sorry i have an old one) then press SET a few times to get out.

bradleyincleveland

Thank you Toker! That's awesome you can designate all of those. The Auber I am getting is the newest model dual probe plug and play. It will arrive tomorrow. Thank you for the info! Can't wait to try it.

bradleyincleveland

Got to try out the new Auber PID dual probe and all I can say is WOW! This thing is built with quality and it held my set point dead on! The customization it allows you to program with turning on and off the generator, temp ramping is amazing. I am very disappointed the expensive product BBQ Guru puts out in the "Raptor" in conjunction with the DigiQ2 which caused me days of frustration with no success.

I made pulled pork that was simply amazing last night....

TedEbear

Glad you finally got it all worked out.  So, where are the pics of this simply amazing pulled pork?   ;)

Orion

This thread definitely needs some pictures of pulled pork and smoker modifications. ;)
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.