Too cold for pulled pork?

Started by Albertasmoker, November 10, 2015, 07:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albertasmoker

Morning fellow smokers!

Question. I'd like to smoke a pulled pork this coming weekend but the max temp is supposed to be 6C (43F),lovely Edmonton AB weather!. I have the standard 4 rack digital Bradley, am i going to have trouble getting the box up to temp?

My plan was to smoke it on friday and eat it saturday. Friday will be the warmer day of the 2. Can I smoke for the day on friday, FTC over night and toss back in smoker to finish on saturday?

Appreciate the help!

waycoolcat

An easy fix is just to use the smoker for the smoking time called for, say three hours. Then move it to your oven set at the desired temperature. I know its not purist, just practical.
I want to be a better carnivore!

rjm240

I'm in Saskatchewan and I've had no trouble with hot smoking with temps as low as -15C, probably lower if needed.  The key is to make sure you've got a decent wind break and use every other trick you have to keep the temp in the cabinet up like using boiling water in the tray, adding pre-heated foil wrapped bricks, etc.  You can also do a test run, just plug it in and turn it up as much as you think you'll need to see how long it takes to get to the pre-heated temperature you're looking for.

Rob

manfromplaid

i live close by. 1 hr south west on hwy 39. i use mine in the winter. but its also in a little shed i have to keep it out of the wind and weather. a couple foil wrapped bricks/hot water in the bowl and give it extra time to preheat. if you'r looking you ain't cooking. keep the vent wide open and the door shut and out of the wind you should be fine. you can also do a search on this site to see what some others have done to keep it out of the wind and weather.  good luck and have fun
jeff

Albertasmoker