Cabinet on the deck to put the smoker into

Started by takem01, November 20, 2015, 07:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

takem01

I saw somewhere (and didn't bookmark it) where some body modified what looked like a Rubbermaid vertical storage cabinet to host a small fridge and his Bradley. Anybody know what I'm talking about?  He'd plumbed it so that the smoker vented through the top of the cabinet, so it looks like he could just open the cabinet, warm up the Bradley, & go to smoking. I'd really like to find out how to put that setup for myself. Thanks, guys.

manfromplaid

this might be the one beefmanns new smoker digs  find it in accessories

TedEbear

beefmann

what a great forum with help like this and members like what other members have done,,, most likely tokem it is my set up.  though i did change the top, Now it is an  inverted Battery box with dryer vents on the  ends,, and a  pvc coupling on the top of the bradley  to exhaust the  smoke,...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17581.msg213170#msg213170

takem01

Ted, that was exactly the thread that I was looking for.   Beefmann, I already have a rubbermaid cabinet on order (found one for $100 on Craigslist).   Get ready for a ton of questions. First of which is, in your vent stack, did you use the original vent or how do you open/regulate the top vent?

tskeeter

Takem, I did as you describe.  Vented my smoker through the roof of a plastic shed.  Wish I hadn't.  Was hard to get the opening water tight.

If I was setting up a smoker shed now, I'd vent through a wall.

beefmann

Quote from: takem01 on November 21, 2015, 02:18:04 PM
Ted, that was exactly the thread that I was looking for.   Beefmann, I already have a rubbermaid cabinet on order (found one for $100 on Craigslist).   Get ready for a ton of questions. First of which is, in your vent stack, did you use the original vent or how do you open/regulate the top vent?

the original white T on top is a 4 inch drain pipe pvc  T that i picked up at Home depot with caps... how ever this  did not  work for me as well as  expected, so i  went ot an  inverted battery  box , dryer  vent caps ontop as you  see in the  bottom pics, and a  4 inch coupling on top of the smoker  where its vent is,, it is loose.

as for  mounting either the T or the battery box ontop of the shed find the place where you  want it,,, mark from the top side with a  felt pen,, drill / cut out the  line,, plus the cross members except  1/4 inch near the outline of the vent,, this will support the vent,  lay the  vent in place and silicone all the way around,, this will keep the water  out.

if you  use the battery box ( or something close ) it will give you some room to  shift the smoker around  unlike a 4 inch hole with the tee,, with the  tee smoke does come out the  front which i did not  like,, ,so now i have it  changed,, and  have very  little to no smoke comming  out the front top of the cabinet.

i also leave the power cord attached to the smoker at all times which is 25  foot,, i use  a wire to hang it on the  inside od  one of the doors,,, 

cathouse willy

Takem I have orig bradley in a small rubber maid shed it's 2ft 6in x 2ft 1inx 6ft od, just big enough.I wrapped the smoker in a hot water insul.blanket and have it set up in the cold smoking mode permanently. I am lazy and didn't vent the shed, I leave the doors slightly ajar to vent.It doesn't get really cold here and with help from heated bricks I have no trouble reaching 240f I've experimented with a heat gun stuck inside the partially open door that really helped with heat recovery time. I'd like to try a port in the smoke hose with an adapter to blow the hot air into.I'm very pleased with my cabinet
Bill