Christmas Ham - Butt or Shank & Deboned/Bone in?

Started by takem01, November 27, 2015, 09:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

takem01

We're planning a small get-together for family & friends. I want to cure & smoke a ham for 12 people. We can send some leftovers with guests, but don't want to leave the fridge/freezer loaded with too much for ourselves.
So the question is do I use a shank or butt half (I believe that the butt half is favored on this forum)?  And do I leave bone in or remove it (them)?

beefmann

my personal preference is to use the butt / shoulder and cure it,.. i get my shoulders at smart and final typically in 10 to 18 lb range,,, and useally a 20 to 25 %  loss when smoked and  cooked,, plan accordingly better to  have to much then not  enough,,,have made 18 lbs for  Christmas for a 40 person gathering .. pot luck style,, and there was  plenty for every one,, with  some left overs .

also plan to  cure  the  hams 8 or 9 days ahead and  smoke the day  before your  event.. this way ,, you  just have to reheat,,, you  will be busy enough  with other  items for the  event,,,

Beef

Habanero Smoker

The section of the ham I prefer is the butt end, and it also has more meat. Articles I've read state the shank is easier to carve, but I don't find that to be the case; and it has far less meat. For the butt I leave the large bone in, but remove the aitch bone prior to curing. I find removing that bone makes for easier carving. I leave in the large bone, I feel adds flavor, and keeps the meat more moist. But if you want to debone the butt end, it is fairly easy to do.

If it is the main protein, you may want to get a fresh butt end ham that weights around 16 pounds bone in. If it is a shank, you will need a larger ham. After trimming, and cooking, you will have a good amount to feed your guest, and for them to take some home. Though leftover ham is great for soups, beans, and casseroles; let along fried and served with some eggs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)