Pid controller on new smoker.

Started by CK, November 29, 2015, 12:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK

I hope this doesn't sound to confusing.
I have my Auber 1200CPH Pid controller (I know its the older model) running my new smoker (BS611) and it wont feed the pucks automatically and when I do it manually it does it wont stop.
I never had this problem with my old Bradley (BTIS1), the older unit has the temp controller on the cabinet and the power for the puck separately.
The new unit keeps cycling the power, as it is run of off the puck feeder now to maintain proper temp that I have my PID set at, I believe this is why it wants to keep feeding the pucks.

Is there any way to attached the PID to the new Bradley where it will work the same as the older unit.

Thanks.

**I have also noticed the puck tray doesn't get hot enough to burn the pucks. :o  Well it looks like smokless snack sticks.  >:(

Habanero Smoker

Have you run the new Bradley without hooking it up to the PID; setup as the manufacturer intended? If so did it work properly when hooked up as intended? If you have the same problems, you know it is not the PID. The usual cause to this problem is the micro switch. Either the arm is not depressing the switch, or not depressing it far enough; or the micro switch may be faulty.

Bisquettes Not Feeding Properly

You didn't describe how you hooked up the PID. The cabinet should plug directly into the back of the PID. You should by pass the generator. To do this you will have to swap out the short jumper cord, for a computer power cord.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CK

Thanks for the reply Habanero,
I did some cheese the other week but only had the smoke generator running, work perfect.

I have the pid hooked up the same way I had it hooked up to my old unit(I think haven't used it in a while)  main power to pid input, pid output to smoke generator, smoke generator to cabinet.

This newer unit has the temp controller on the puck feeder where as the old unit it was on the cabinet.
On the old unit the pid controlled the main element for heat and puck feeder worked just as a puck feeder.
This new unit has them both on the puck feeder and it keeps turning off and on to maintain set temp and I think this is why the puck feeder is not working as it should.
I was wondering if there was a different way to wire it so it would work like my old unit.

cathouse willy

ck I have the had the same pid and box as you as you although My wiring setup is as follows main power to the pid, pid output to the cabinet, main power to the smoke generator,nothing from the smoke gen to the cabinet. That way the pid controls the cabinet temp and the smoke gen is powered from the wall you turn it on and off by hand.
Bill

CK

Thanks Cathouse, I'm running out of weekend and the smokeless snacksticks are about to temp.  :o

I will try next weekend with just the regular Bradley hookup just to make sure there is no problems with the puck feeder and then wire the pid as listed by you.

Will post my results then.

Thanks again Habanero and Cathouse for your help, it's much appreciated.

pensrock

You need to run one main power to the PID, from the PID to the tower (NOT the puck feeder). Run a second main power to the puck feeder. If you try to plug the pid into the puck feeder every time it get near the temperature it is set for it will turn off the power to the puck feeder and the tower.

CK

Thanks again for all the help.
I hooked my PID up as listed and it all works perfect.  8)

Element is heating and the pucks are feeding (and burning).