First Time User Advice for Pulled Pork & Briskett

Started by The Urban Smoker, November 30, 2015, 01:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Urban Smoker

Hi Guys
I'm a new member. In Wallasey, North West UK. New to smoking. Just bought BDS 6 rack. Have seasoned smoker for a few hours and today trying to prepare pulled pork (8lb shoulder) and half brisket (8lb flat). Applied rub and refrigerated overnight. Took out of fridge for 1 hour, Bradley Digital Thermometer read internal temp of 55'F. Preheated smoker to 220'F and in they went exactly 8am GMT ( just over 1 hour ago), brisket rack 2 pork rack 4. Smoker set for 6 hours with mesquite, oven for max 9 hours.
Read so much about different methods and still finding it confusing. Hope someone with experience can help with the following:
1) Is 220'F right temp?
2) Do I crutch brisket with foil and apple juice when temp probe reads 150'F?
3) Do you ever crutch pulled pork or just leave it to go through stall?
4) I'm aiming for an internal temp of 190'F for pork and 205'F for beef, is this what you guys would aim for?
5) I'm expecting a cook time of 10-12 hours for both
Any thoughts? Am I on the right track to have a chance or is this smoke already doomed?

beefmann

hello and  welcome aboard,,,

congrats on your smoker first things first,,,,always keep your top vent wide open... keep your top vent wide open.... as for your other information

1) 220 F is a good temp,... i generally  run at  225 F... 5 F will not  make that  much of a  difference

2) adding adding apple juice to a  piece of meat helps replace juices back into the  meat over long cooks,,,what i  do is ... wrap in foil... add in apple juice,, close tightly  then back in smoker after 6 to 7 hours,, depending on how i  like the bark

3) yes i have.... again it helps keep the meat from drying out

4) as for the  internal temps of the  meat,,, you are in the target range,,, though the meat  will be  done when it is  done,,, all pieces of  meat are a bit  different,,, i have had pork become ready any where between 187 F through 195 F beef is pretty much the  same,,, generally  a bit  higher,,, do the fork test,,, stick a fork in the  meat and twist,,, do this in several places.

5) that is a good time range to start  off with ,,, thought i have meats get  done sooner .. or a lot  later then  planned,,, id check it at 8 hours and go from there

if you  have a couple of remote thermometers where you  can  monitor the internal temps of the  meat,,,  use them... great items to  have

watchdog56

As far as when it is done time? I have done a couple of pork butts at the same time and sometimes it takes 15-20 hours depending on if smoker is out of wind, outside temp, how long I let them sit out before going into smoker. When they hit 195 I usually pull them out then wrap in foil then in towel and place in cooler( Foil Towel Cooler) for 3-4 hours. Then take out and pull.

The Urban Smoker

By the time i received these messages the the 6 hr smoke had finished and both pork and brisket had stalled at 155'F after 8 hours. Decided to crutch both with foil and apple juice and return until internal temp probe reads 195'F. Pleased with how both looked and felt after 8 hrs. Took some pics but couldn't find how to attach. Will post again later when finished the cook.
Thanks for the help.

Habanero Smoker

If you are using a computer, you need to open an account on a photo hosting site; such as Photobucket. The below link, though a little outdated; may be helpful.
How To Post Pictures

If you are trying to post directly from a phone, you can use an app called Tapatalk. Also if you open an account on Photobucket, you can download their app, then you can upload your photos from your phone to you account.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

The Urban Smoker

Thanks for this guys
Brisket came out after 15 hours and pork 16 hours ( just 15 mins ago)
Tried fork test on both and to me seemed soft and tasted good, actually pork was amazing
Now 00:15am so both packed in cooler, insulated with blankets overnight
Will taste tomorrow and hopefully follow advice re posting pics and get some posted
Thanks again

TedEbear

Quote from: The Urban Smoker on November 30, 2015, 09:56:31 AMTook some pics but couldn't find how to attach. Will post again later when finished the cook.

Here's the Reader's Digest version:

1. Upload your pics to Photobucket.  It's a free host site.
2. Left click inside the IMG box next to the pic.  The contents will automatically be copied onto your clipboard
3. Paste those contents into a message on here.
4. If you want to verify that it worked before posting your message, click on the Preview button at the bottom of the message that you're posting.

If you're new to Photobucket it's a good idea to create different albums for your photos such as Food, Hobbies, Vacation, Cars, etc., and upload each pic to the appropriate one.  It makes them much easier to find later on when you've uploaded hundreds of photos.   ;)

The Urban Smoker

Very pleased with both pork and beef. Thanks for advice and info re importing pics, have added some below.

Both insulated and allowed to cool for 10 hours.

Pork after 16 hours

Beef after 15 hour

Apologies for poor video quality

Short video. Beef after 10 hours cooling down

Short video. Pork after 10 hours cooling down

beefmann

they both look great,,, congrats on brisket and pork

KyNola

Your pork and beef look really good, congratulations!

This is probably just me but I would be concerned about holding the meat in the manner you did for 10 hours.  Others with more experience than me will come along and advise you better.  Just my opinion which is worthless in the grand scheme of things.

Congratulations on your first time success. 

The Urban Smoker

Thanks
Yeah, we did leave them a long time, had intended to get back to them about 6am ie after about 5 and a half hours but just couldnt make it.
surprised at just how hot they had remained though but will do different next time.

Habanero Smoker

I'm glad you were able to post the pictures. Both cuts of meat look great.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)