Sauce-making and storing

Started by asa, August 13, 2006, 11:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asa

Inspired by Iceman's sauce packaging, I've done something that I'd been thinking about for a while. That is, I made a batch of sauce, and ran it through a home-canning process, putting up 8oz jars that can be stored on a shelf and be given to family and friends when I give them packages of BBQ. I used a simmering/boiling water bath process for ~30 minutes, the lids all pinged when I took them out, and so far they look good. Has anyone else done this with BBQ sauce? Any suggestions or tips? I figure that with the amount of vinegar in these sauces, the pH should be reasonably low so we probably don't have too much to worry about. Iceman, I'm sure you do this on a large-scale, but with those lids, it looks like you've used basically a home-canning process too, although I note that  the jars say something like "not for home-canning" on them. Any thoughts or tips for those of us just starting to try this? (I've never done any home-canning before, just read about it and tried it with a small, 10 cup batch).  Thanks in advance for any other comments.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

iceman

Quote from: asa on August 13, 2006, 11:19:30 AM
Inspired by Iceman's sauce packaging, I've done something that I'd been thinking about for a while. That is, I made a batch of sauce, and ran it through a home-canning process, putting up 8oz jars that can be stored on a shelf and be given to family and friends when I give them packages of BBQ. I used a simmering/boiling water bath process for ~30 minutes, the lids all pinged when I took them out, and so far they look good. Has anyone else done this with BBQ sauce? Any suggestions or tips? I figure that with the amount of vinegar in these sauces, the pH should be reasonably low so we probably don't have too much to worry about. Iceman, I'm sure you do this on a large-scale, but with those lids, it looks like you've used basically a home-canning process too, although I note that  the jars say something like "not for home-canning" on them. Any thoughts or tips for those of us just starting to try this? (I've never done any home-canning before, just read about it and tried it with a small, 10 cup batch).  Thanks in advance for any other comments.
The jars I use won't stand up to home canning as far as the 220 degrees for 110 minutes while canning fish and meats. (The handles break). They do however hold up through the sterilization process. Water bathing is okay for a low PH sauce like your talking about. I do what they call a "Hot sterile pack" with my sauce. It comes out of the vat at 190F. and into 180F. sterilized jars then lidded and cooled to room temp. It's always a good idea to test the sauce occasionaly for PH levels with test strips just for safety's sake. A lot of the co op extentions can actually test the PH level for you if you don't have access to a testing facility.
I think your sauce will be just fine. Just get it above 170 to kill anything that might have come in through the air while you were putting it in the jars.
You could always send me a small jar and I could taste it... I mean TEST it for you :D ;D ;)
I'd be more than happy to share any info I have with you. Have a good one.

asa

Thanks for the info Iceman. I've heard of hot sterile-packing but never realized what that referred to. And you'll be at the top of the list if and when I get to the point of producing and mailing anything.

Regards,
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!