New member and new smoker

Started by tacklewasher, January 01, 2016, 12:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacklewasher

I've picked up a original smoker knowing I want to add a PID. I've ordered a Maverick ET-375 off Amazon for reading the temps (hoping the bluetooth range is adequate) but am a bit confused on the PID.

Is it better to just get the Auber unit for the Bradley smoker like http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=380, or to put together the components like in this thread http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?315-PID-Controller

Seems the components are a lot cheaper. And they have a "commonly bought items" setup on Amazon.ca for about $60, not Auber though. Can't seem to find a retailer in Canada for Auber.

Probably going to use the smoker most for fish.

TedEbear

For those of us who like to tinker, the DIY unit is a fun project and is certainly a lot less expensive than the plug-n-play PID controller.  I installed mine in the SG.  The plug-n-play does have more features, none of which I would ever use.  I think I paid around $70 for all the parts to build mine.

tacklewasher

Does one setup work better than another? Or is it just a case of the same performance, but cheaper to DIY?

TedEbear

Quote from: tacklewasher on January 05, 2016, 07:55:39 AM
Does one setup work better than another? Or is it just a case of the same performance, but cheaper to DIY?

Either setup will maintain the chamber temp to within a couple of degrees, if that's all you want it for.  The plug-n-play is obviously easier to install (just plug it in) but not as much fun if you like to build and modify things.

tacklewasher

I don't really want to build one myself, but a dual probe one from Auber is going to run me over $300 Cdn, including shipping, exchange etc.

I can get a dual probe controller, SSR and one TC for about $65 Cdn. I'd like to go with Auber but that price difference is pretty substantial. Be ~$100 with the box, heat sink and stuff.