Stuffing Horn/Casings ?

Started by Orion, December 08, 2015, 11:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

Hi, I'm all geared up for making sausage for the first time. Going to use Mr. Walleyes amazing looking Kielbasa recipe and do 10 lbs for a first go. Plan to make it two days from now. Meats have started a slow defrost in the fridge.

I am putting everything in order and was having a look over the 32mm hog casing I will be using. I took a small section, rinsed well and fed it onto the plastic stuffing horn. Being my first time it was a little tedious and brought a question to mind;

Would it be fine to feed 20 lbs sausage worth of casing onto the horn well ahead of time and just leave the horn/casing submerged in water in the fridge until I was ready to stuff? Once I start the sausage grind, mix and stuffing process I would like to move along smoothly and quickly and having the horn pre-loaded would help.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

That will work for sort term storage of the casings; such as a day or two.

I had problems using the plastic stuffing tubes, so I finally purchase a set of stainless steel tubes. The outside diameter is smaller than the plastic tubes, and there seems to be less friction moving the casings over the stainless steel. Make sure the tube is either lubricated or damp with water before trying to slide the casings on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Orion

Thanks HS. I agree, the casing does not slide well on the plastic. Just another thing to upgrade I guess. :( It's all quality LEM equipment too.

WoodlawnSmoker

Good luck Orion, please post pics of your project, sounds good.  Habs is right, stainless works better but you should be all right.  I'm a new sausage maker too, so satisfying, I love it.  If you have some set-backs, don't be discouraged; the learning curve is high but it seems to be something that is caught on fairly quickly with experience if that makes sense.  Just have fun.

Orion

Thanks WLS. I have the one and only, never to be out sausaged Mr. Walleye watching my back on this first attempt so all will be good. I will certainly post pics of the project. Looks like Friday will be the day.