900 watt mod connectors really hot

Started by ghosttown, December 26, 2015, 04:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

I did the 900 watt in the summer and just yesterday I decided to take a look at the 900 watt element while it was on. Now I was doing the auto tune on my PID so not sure if that's why the connectors got really hot. I didn't notice this when I normally do a smoke.  Is this normal?

I changed all the existing wires with 1000F temperature wire and note in the picture the wire is also red but when the connectors gets really got the end part of the wire turns white.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

beefmann

no it is not normal, the screw and  nut behind your nut that holds the wire may be loose causing more resistance and getting hot,,,once everything is cool... check to see if that connection screw is  loose,,, wobbles... if it  is,, remove the top nut that  holds on the wire, then any washers,,, and you will find another nut,,, tighten it,,, .. the  screw head you are  unable to get to because it is  enclosed in the sheathe.. do the  best you  can to  hold the screw and tighten the nut closest to the sheathe...

that should take care of the nut getting to  hot

ghosttown

Thanks will have a look tomorrow, the other side was fine and didn't know a loose nut would cause it to get hot. Will report back tomorrow. Also should I use a washer behind the nut as if I recall I didn't put one.

beefmann

if you  can find one small enough ,,, yes,, most would be too large and not lay flat creating a bad connection and over heat  much like what  you are seeing currently,  you may want to  see if you  can find a  lock washer in that size screw,,, if memory serves right,,, it is a  # 10 screw,,,

ghosttown

Quote from: beefmann on December 26, 2015, 08:16:43 PM
if you  can find one small enough ,,, yes,, most would be too large and not lay flat creating a bad connection and over heat  much like what  you are seeing currently,  you may want to  see if you  can find a  lock washer in that size screw,,, if memory serves right,,, it is a  # 10 screw,,,

You ended up being right, the right side was loose so I removed the connectors and cut the burnt wire and made new connectors. Reconnected everything and used a kep nuts and now the connectors are really tight.

However the back washer on the actual bolt on the element was loose so I tried to tighten the nut on the bolt and it snap right off.

Likely I had a spare 900 watt as I picked one up when I was in the states as they are about 30 bucks vs the one I got here in Canada for 90. Kind of 0ty I'm out 90 bucks and not sure if it can be fixed. Anybody out there is willing to send me a 900 watt element from the US?

beefmann

sorry to hear about all your  issues with your  heater, the  screw  being loose and later snapping apart,,, though am glad that you  had a  spare, and that i was able to point you  in the  right  direction,,, the most likely reason the screw broke so easy is because of all the heat it dealt with before you caught it and tried to do a  repair,,, am glad that you are well on your way to fixing...

ghosttown

Appreciate the help like always

beefmann

TedEbear

Could that broken stud be drilled out and replaced with a regular nut and bolt?

beefmann

I would have to say no, as that bolt does carry  electricity and ultimately short through the case of the heater,,, not a good thing,,,,good thought,,, bad idea.. 

ghosttown

Was thinking that but had the same thought of beefmann