OBS mods

Started by PAhardwoods, December 09, 2015, 07:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAhardwoods

I've had my OBS for about two years and have only used it a hand full of times at most, i need more power and a better way to control the temps!!

I've been lurking on this site for a a long time and I want to do the piggyback wiring for the 2nd heat element that I've seen on here from tedbear, I was unable to find exactly how its done. What else is needed besides the high temp wire and ring terminals if anything??

Also i want to get the Auber dual PID plug and play - i realize that with the 2nd heating element I will need to run the autotune - what I'm not sure of is do you have to run autotune every time your going to smoke something or just for the initial set up?

beefmann

welcome aboard,,,

do a  search for duel 500 watt mod .. you  will find many to  choose from... pretty  much all the  same... as for the  auto tune... auber insterments  comes with  instructions on how to do the  wiring and do the  auto tune,..

TedEbear

Quote from: PAhardwoods on December 09, 2015, 07:44:30 AM
I've been lurking on this site for a a long time and I want to do the piggyback wiring for the 2nd heat element that I've seen on here from tedbear, I was unable to find exactly how its done. What else is needed besides the high temp wire and ring terminals if anything??

Here's a link on the how-to article about adding a second 500W element.  The only difference in the way I did mine was to run two short 3-4" high temp jumper wires to connect the ends of one element to the other.  Ring terminals (remove the plastic insulator) and 14ga high temp wire.

A word of caution about making the holes in the heat shield.  The thin metal tends to tear VERY easy if you use a large drill bit. One other member destroyed his recently when drilling the holes and had to order a new shield.  The way I did mine was to drill it out to about 3/8" and then I use a cone shaped grinding bit to enlarge the holes to the right size.

On the autotune, you just need to run it once after you have installed the second 500W element.  Put a couple of bricks or something wrapped in foil on the racks to simulate a load of meat in the chamber before you start, along with a bowl of water like you would do when smoking something normally.  I think it takes about 1/2 hour to complete, if I remember right.

Orion

Welcome to the group PAhardwoods. I developed a different method of mounting the second element and found the installation to be quite simple and secure. The wiring can be done in the same piggy back fashion ( 2nd element looped to 1st) and the elements can be spaced out to a greater degree. Simpler drilling as it only requires 3 3/16ths holes. Have a look at this link before you start and consider the options.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=36796.0
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

PAhardwoods

Great info guys thanks!!! Orion i really the way you mounted yours!

Orion

Yes, it is a tidy and secure installation and changing out the element is easy. If you have any questions just ask.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.