Coldest weather when smoking

Started by smokin fireman, August 12, 2006, 04:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin fireman

I live in Nebraska and was wondering when you are unable to use your smoker due to winter?  It will be stored in the garage when not in use. I will place it in the driveway when I do use it.  I obviously wont use it when it snows due to me not having it covered.  I was more worried about the temp outside.  I do know that the temp outside effects the inside temp. which results in more smoking time.  Any help would be appreciated.  This machine coming from Canada, I assuming it has been tested in the elements but I wanted to make sure!

Smudge

It's a cold day in hell when you can't smoke. I live in Minnesota, the cold has never put an end to my plans.

The most important thing to do is to keep it out of the wind. Know what your forecast is for the day, plan accordingly. You realize very soon that one strong suit of the Bradley is its portability.

robs

I live in North Dakota. It gets cold here. I allways use my smoker in the garage. I open the big door and set it 0-5 feet in depending on weather conditions. I have a side window that I open up some and I never have any trouble with the smoke getting in the house. I also unplug the garage door opener before doing this and remove my vehicle. It's just a single stall garage. It probably wouldn't work well with a larger one.

I've smoked at 0 deg with no problem.

asa

Quote from: smokin fireman on August 12, 2006, 04:51:59 PM
I do know that the temp outside effects the inside temp. which results in more smoking time. 

Welcome to the forum fireman. In my opinion, the ambient temp shouldn't affect your smoking time, but it might affect your cooking time.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Richard Pearce

Quote from: smokin fireman on August 12, 2006, 04:51:59 PM
I live in Nebraska and was wondering when you are unable to use your smoker due to winter?  It will be stored in the garage when not in use. I will place it in the driveway when I do use it.  I obviously wont use it when it snows due to me not having it covered.  I was more worried about the temp outside.  I do know that the temp outside effects the inside temp. which results in more smoking time.  Any help would be appreciated.  This machine coming from Canada, I assuming it has been tested in the elements but I wanted to make sure!

I'm in Ontario and I've always smoked throughout the winter. Diary shows one smoke last year at -14' with a wind chill of -20'. As mentioned elsewhere I smoke in the garage as the wind seems to be the real killer. The cook time definitely takes a lot longer, you tend to peek less (you're inside!) and I managed to oversmoke and turn some a little bitter; smoke for the normal length of time but cook longer. I close the garage door beside the smoker except for about one foot top and bottom, and the other one is half open. I have a dual transmitting thermometer that tells me the temperature inside the product and inside the smoker; this is a great help in keeping the door closed! I also put a half size building brick in the bottom beside the water basin. I preheat this brick in a 250' oven for about an hour; it definitely helps stabilize the temperature inside the smoker especially when the door has had to be opened. :D
Richard Pearce

nodak

Does anybody know the minimum ambient temp for the new digital smokers?  I was wondering about the electronics working as I know PID's ussually have a minimum ambient temp requirements of 32F.

I also suggest putting your smoke generater inside in winter than take it outside, so the grease isn't stiff, to prevent early motor failure.

iceman

Quote from: nodak on August 14, 2006, 09:41:15 AM
I also suggest putting your smoke generater inside in winter than take it outside, so the grease isn't stiff, to prevent early motor failure.
I can't tell folks this enough up here or in any cold climate territory. Thanks for the reminder nodak. ;)

bubbagump

Quote from: nodak on August 14, 2006, 09:41:15 AM
Does anybody know the minimum ambient temp for the new digital smokers?  I was wondering about the electronics working as I know PID's ussually have a minimum ambient temp requirements of 32F.

It's typically the LCD digital display that is affected by the cold. In the winter I will pull my digital meters out of the truck and bring them into the house with me. Otherwise they are useless until they warm up.

Bubbagump

smokin stu

I have also used the smoker all winter and its just fine.  I used to have it in the garage with the garage door open a foot, but have taken inspiration from this forum and have now built a smoker shed for my BS.  I expect it will work just fine no matter how cold it gets.