Smoked Porkloin (boneless)

Started by Fuzzybear, July 17, 2004, 03:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzybear

Anyone do one?  Suggestions? Ideas? Rubs? Marinades?  If not, I'll wing something and cook to 155-160 degrees at an oven temp of 200-225 using apple or cherry or maple pucks....

If a marinade comes up, I'll be soaking the piggy for a minimum of 12 hours......if I can get away with it, othewise will soak for about 8 hours.....(after all, I do need some smoke time!)

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

BigSmoker

This one is from Steve Rachlin.  If using a lg. tenderloin cut along loin and make long sheet.  spread tapenade(black olive spread)over entire tenderloin.  Roll tenderloin using bacon on outside as fat to keep moist.  Tie with cooking string to hold together.  Smoke until 150f-160f.  Rest for 15 min.  Slice 1/2" slices for serving.  You can stuff loin with what ever you want i.e. portabella mushroom paste, sundried tomato paste, fruit spread with cream cheese, etc.  Smoke with fruit wood or pecan.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Damn Jeff(Big Smoker),

That really sounds tasty!  Olive and maybe a little chipotle and Rasberry....hmmm[:p]

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Regforte

Fuzzybear,

Here's a method for "Sausage Stuffed Pork Loin" that tastes (and looks) really good. The sausage gets stuffed into the pork loin but the pork loin is left whole, it's not butterflied (i.e cut open). The sausage  renders some of it's fat and flavor while it cooks and works into the pork from the inside. This is a good thing because pork loin can be a bit dry.

First, put the sausage of your choice (homemade or store bought) into the freezer to harden it up a bit and make it easier to handle. When it's ready, take it out and put a bit of olive oil on it. Make a hole through the centerline of your pork loin with a sharpening steel or a thin bladed fillet knife. Stuff the sausage through the hole. It's ok if the sausage sticks out one side or the other a bit. You can always trim it later.

Put some of your favorite rub on it, or marinate it, whichever you prefer. Leave it in the fridge for a few hours until the sausage thaws out.

Smoke it at 250 F until about 145 F internal. DO NOT overcook. Pork is safe at this temp (trichinella is completely dead at 143 F). 155 F is too high for lean pork, believe me.

When you slice it, you'll get oohs and aahs from your dinner guests. It looks and tastes great.

whitetailfan

Fuzzy,
I have never smoked a fresh loin, all of mine have been cured first for smoked pork chops.
Essentially what you have the makings for if left fresh, is a crown pork roast minus the bones, and the circle shape.  I have had that in the oven before and it is awesome, would taste even better with some smoke.

Personally I would give it a shot with simple salt and pepper, smoke, and eat it as a roast.  Tender and juicy and TASTY enough, that I would not really put a lot of work into marinading it. Just MO.[:)]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Fuzzybear

Thanks for all the input guys...

I think I'll just do a light rub, sugar/salt/pepper and smoke at 220 until innards is at 155 - 160 and then let it rest for about 20 minutes before slicing into it...I also think I'll put it on a piece of foil to catch the juices and kind of self baste as it were.

I'll smoke it with maple or cherry or apple - have not decided yet for 2 - 3 hours of smoke......

Glendora, CA - USA!

Tominator

I smoked two of these last weekend. They were about 3-4 lbs.

The first was brined with tender quick for 24 hours. After washing in cold water several times it was allowed to sit at room temp for an hour. Then I rubbed it with a Jamican dry seasoning that my wife bought on special for a buck a bottle.

The other was even more simple. A  bottle of '30 min Teriyaki Marinade,' of a local private brand and you guessed it, in 30 mins it hit the BS![8D]

Both turned out great and was as good as any pork I've ever eaten. They each had a distinct flavor. The Jamican spice was a little 'warm,' but not overly so. The Teriyaki marinade was very good as well and was 'sweet.'.

The brined loin had a traditional 'smoke ring' and the smaller cross sections of the meat were almost ham like.

Cooked at 250 for two hours and reduced to 225 for the third with maple bisquettes.

There is some High Mountain Bacon cure in my near future and I'm planning on this cut of meat for that project.

<font color="red">Where there's smoke....there's meat!</font id="red">

Fuzzybear

Ok...gramma picked up a "Hormel" pre-marinated porkloin - center cut so no marinating for me....

Weight 1.7lbs
Cook temp - was all over the place 180 to 225 despite my best efforts to keep it at 200....
Wood for smoke: 6 cherry pucks (2 hours)
Cook time - 3 1/2 hours.....
My internal thermo read 149 when I pulled it off and I was expecting raw meat but noooooooooooooooooo!  No pink at all - white and very moist so something went right!  Was very tasty too, however, Hormel uses a lot of salt so I would recommend that if you don't want a lot of salt, try marinating your own or rinsing the little beast or let it soak in fresh water changed regularly to leach out the salts.....

The taste is remarkably similar to canadian bacon which really through me for a loop as I was not expecting that flavor at all.

Glendora, CA - USA!

Regforte

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />
Great idea on the stuffed loin, are you saying "Breakfast" type sausage? or just a form of link??

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
MW,

Normally you use link sausage because it's already in the right shape and therefore convenient, but you also use "loose" sausage meat. Here's how.

Lay out a piece of cling wrap and put some sausage meat in the middle. Spread it into a log and then roll up the cling wrap around it, forming a log shape. Freeze as usual, then when you take it out, remove the wrap before stuffing.

I usually make a special sausage formulation with higher fat content (40% instead or 30%) just for use in stuffing.

MallardWacker

Reg,

I am not into sausage making YET, butI would think even some simple "Jimmy Dean" sage flavored would work fine, roll it smaller and then freeze it and insert. (please, I know we could get off the deep end on this one)

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Regforte

MW,

I think that would work great. As long as it has enough fat to keep the inside moist, any sausage that you enjoy will do the trick.

Smoked stuffed pork loin - one of my all time favorites.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">spread tapenade(black olive spread)over entire tenderloin.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Gee thanks for the info....now I just have to go find out what olive spread is. DOH on me for not knowing.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Regforte

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoW-Oldman</i>

Gee thanks for the info....now I just have to go find out what olive spread is. DOH on me for not knowing.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
For a simple approach, you could just puree some olives, olive oil, and salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. If you want something a bit more elaborate, here's a recipe I like.

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001

3/4 pound pitted black olives, such as Kalamata, Nicoise,
or Gaeta
3 to 4 ounces capers, drained and rinsed
2 anchovy fillets, drained, rinsed and patted dry
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 bay leaf, finely chopped
5 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves finely chopped
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon cognac or brandy
1/2 cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor
and pulse to combine well, then allow to process until
mixture is coarsely pureed. Taste for seasoning, then
serve as a dip alongside crusty bread with goat cheese,
grilled vegetables or chicken, or tossed with cooked
pasta and fresh herbs.

bsolomon

Costco sells an Olive Tepanade that is actually really very good.  I have used it several times in the past as a stuffing for boneless leg of lamb I cooked over indirect heat on my grill.  It imparts a really nice flavor and the olvie oil keeps the meat very moist.

BrentK

Reg,

Your stuffed pork loin sounded so good I'm going to give it a try this weekend.  I could'nt find a loin big enough to feed the family.....were going to need about 12 - 14 lbs though so I went with a leg...14lbs.  I'm going to grind up some mild italian sausage to stuff it with.  Maple wood and a smoke for about 12 hours "I hope"  I think I'm going to have to cut the leg in half to fit on the racks.  Can't wait to give it a try.[:)]

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND