Merry Christmas to me!

Started by thepro8, December 27, 2015, 09:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepro8

I must have been good this year. Santa brought me a 6-rack digital smoker to replace my 10-year-old 4-rack digital. He also brought me a Auber dual element plug and plan and a 2nd heating element. Can't wait to get this thing all put together as my 4-rack is on it's last legs.

watchdog56

thepro8

Bruins is coming together. Got the wall sensor installed, 2nd heating element and auber working. This is my test to make sure both elements work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlickRickDFW

Nice setup. I have similar equipment.
How are you using the wall sensor?
Do you dangle the temp cord(s) through the top vent that connect to the Auber?
I only see the food temp probe in the pic. Do you leave the Auber resting on top during a smoke?
With the extra height of the 6 rack, many times I have issues stretching the Auber temp cord from the unit sitting on a table, up the side, then down through the vent to the meat...
When doing the dual heater element install, did you buy extra long bolts to secure both ceramic holders to the back wall?
Have you enjoyed the dual element install in the 6 rack?
DBS 6 Rack, new BOS 4 Rack, Bradley Cold Smoker, Auber Dual Probe
Cabela's Masterbuilt Electric Bullet Water Smoker, mods
CharGriller Super Pro w) side fire box, mods

thepro8

How are you using the wall sensor?
I'm not using the stock one. I use the wall sensor from the Auber PID I installed.

Do you dangle the temp cord(s) through the top vent that connect to the Auber?
I do for the meat thermometer. I have a wall mount one for the cabinet temp I drilled through the case to install

I only see the food temp probe in the pic. Do you leave the Auber resting on top during a smoke?
There is a wall mount probe in the back cabinet 2/3 of the way up for cabinet. as mentioned above my food temp probe just goes through the vent. I leave my Auber on the ground.

With the extra height of the 6 rack, many times I have issues stretching the Auber temp cord from the unit sitting on a table, up the side, then down through the vent to the meat...
No, you can always get different size power coords. the temp probe coords are really long.

When doing the dual heater element install, did you buy extra long bolts to secure both ceramic holders to the back wall?
I believe so.

Have you enjoyed the dual element install in the 6 rack?
Yes, it's worth it. pretty easy to do.

SlickRickDFW

>How are you using the wall sensor?
>>I'm not using the stock one. I use the wall sensor from the Auber PID I installed.
Aok. Me too.

>Do you dangle the temp cord(s) through the top vent that connect to the Auber?
>>I do for the meat thermometer. I have a wall mount one for the cabinet temp I drilled through the case to install
Could you post a pic of where and how this wall mount is installed? Also, how did you reseal the hole where the temp probe line exits through the back. Of course, the stock one has a great appearance. I'm trying to see how you passed the Auber probe line through the back wall.

>I only see the food temp probe in the pic. Do you leave the Auber resting on top during a smoke?
>>There is a wall mount probe in the back cabinet 2/3 of the way up for cabinet. as mentioned above my food temp probe just goes through the vent. I leave my Auber on the ground.

>With the extra height of the 6 rack, many times I have issues stretching the Auber temp cord from the unit sitting on a table, up the side, then down through the vent to the meat...
>>No, you can always get different size power coords. the temp probe coords are really long.
Thanks. I set the smoker and Auber on a small portable table during smoking. I find the temp probe cord still too short when trying to measure meat positioned on the lowest rack when the temp probe is dropped through top vent. I probably need a larger table to elevate the Auber unit and position it on some sort of stand.

>When doing the dual heater element install, did you buy extra long bolts to secure both ceramic holders to the back wall?
>>I believe so.
It appears you purchased a duplicate set of ceramic holders for the additional element. Did you use the 3-4" loop wiring approach connecting to the original heater element?

>Have you enjoyed the dual element install in the 6 rack?
>>Yes, it's worth it. pretty easy to do.
Going to upgrade the BOS 4 rack first, then upgrade the DBS 6 rack. Did you upgrade your older 4 rack? And do you change the PID programming when switching the Auber between the smokers?

SlickRickDFW

@thepro8: I am confused now after looking at some details of this modification. I've ordered the additional parts... How are you able to insert the smoker generator tray into the hole without bumping into the metal reflector tray of the new heater element after it is installed this way? I can't figure out how you have enough clearance with the install of the second set of ceramic element holders. Could you post a picture with the smoke generator installed and the door open?

thepro8

the smoker generator tray definitely hits the head deflector. I had to bend it out of the way.

for the ceramic element holders that was another mod too. I think I used washers to cHANGE THE Spacing