Fan Mod for btsi1

Started by ghosttown, December 30, 2015, 07:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

Looking to modify my smoker to install a fan, looking for some advice.

1) What kind of fan am I looking for? Motor speed, how big and any links to get it.
2) I am assuming I do not want a fast moving fan only enough to move the heat and the smoke, but not to fast to cool down the cabinet?
3) I have a 900 watt with a PID, would it be better to hardwire the fan to the same wire inside the bradley smoker? Only issue I find doing this is when the set temp reaches the PID will cut the power to the cabinet/element hence it will also cut the power to the fan. Should I hardwire it to a plug?
4) How long do I need the fan shaft to be? (I assume its called a shaft of some sort) so I can install the fan blade inside the cabinet and the motor outside and put a box behind it right
5) Location of the fan, I assume right above the V-tray and dead center?

Thanks

beefmann

Ghost,

1) most any fan would work as long as it has a metal blade inside, also you want to mount the motor on the outside of the  box,  any fan in the  30 to 80 cfm would work nicely
2) as for  moving the air  you  also have to  consider that the fan,,,, depending on its location,,, above oe below the  v tray will make a  difference on the puck burner and cool it just enough  not to burn the pucks  properly.
3) i have my  blower hard wired so it  will be on full time ... so yes  have the fan  run full time.
4)  shaft length needs to  be 1 1/4 to  1 1/2 in length so you  can  get through the back of the bradley and  have enough  clearance for the  blade. approx 1/2 inch,, a  little more is better.
5) above the v tray i would agree is the  best  place, what you  can also do,, right  where the  fan blade is,, cut the  v tray  just a little 1/2 to 3/4 of the fan blade thickness so it will pull the heat from the heater and into the upper part of the  smoker.

Hope this  helps

ghosttown

thanks beefmann, for the hardwire I assume you just connected it to a plug? Would you have a picture of some sort of the fan installed between the v-tray? I read somewhere people would reverse the motor so it spins the other way either CW or CCW, not sure what the difference will be?

beefmann

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=27627.msg329409#msg329409

on this link it  will show you  two different ways of doing the fan  mod,,, you  can  choose which one fits you  the best,,,,

here is what i have  done ... many  years  back...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17329.msg209917#msg209917

you  can  choose the  one you  like the  best,,,,

best wishes and good luck on your project,,, all work well