First smoke with the DBS

Started by Rugaroo, December 31, 2015, 09:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rugaroo

After seasoning the new BDS, I just knew that it was going to be a big improvement over my old propane smoker.  Smoke was rolling out of it at lower temps, the temp was stable, and I looked forward to my first smoke.

Well, yesterday I fed it some ling cod, halibut, pink salmon, coho salmon, king salmon and salmon bellies.  I was concerned about the capacity (I have the 6 rack) but the picture is about just less than half full so I am really pleased with the capacity.

Two things that I noticed is, like everyone else, the slow recovery.  I definitely see an upgraded element in my future.  One other thing that I noticed was that when first coming up to a specific temp it would overheat by almost 20 degrees.  It would settle down over time to the temp that was set but any time the temp was changed or the door opened, it would consistently overshoot the temp.  Is this normal?

Definitely one of the best batches I've done.  Having consistent, steady smoke really makes a lot of difference as does being able to maintain low temps.  Overall I am pretty happy with the purchase and see myself using this unit a lot more.  Frog mats on  the way.

Anyways, pron below.  Most glazed with jalapeno jelly and half hit afterwards with red pepper flakes. 

Happy New Year!

watchdog56

Nice amount of fish. As far as temp swing, yes it can go +/- 15 -20 degree. I use a PID now for everything(mainly because I started making sausage). With a PID you can get a temp swing of +/- 2 degree.