Bought a load of hog jowls

Started by takem01, December 31, 2015, 11:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

takem01

Went up to MI for Christmas and bought a half dozen hog jowls for bacon. Cleaned them up (removed glandular tissue & skin) and have them ready to cure/smoke. Can anyone give me any suggestions regarding the cure, drying time/temp, and smoking time/temp?  Since it's primarily used to season beans, etc. I'm thinking that the maple cures might not be the way to go.  Just salt, pepper, & maybe a little cayenne along with the pink salt?

Habanero Smoker

I've never cured one. There are a few ways you can cure it, and smoke it. If you are going to air dry it, do a search on google. You should come up with a good number of choices.

If you are going to cure it and leave it uncooked, partially cooked, or fully cooked like belly bacon, I would start by making the Basic Dry Cure, or use Morton Tender Quick, and apply it as directed. Once you got that measured out you can add your other seasonings.

If you are using it as a seasoning, using this Tasso Ham recipe may be what you are looking for.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

takem01

Weighed the jowls after getting rid of the rind and the fat/glandular tissue on the inside of each jowl. Right at 6#. Used a mix of black pepper, salt, brown sugar, and curing salt. Now it's cure for 4 days (maybe 5) and then rinse dry in the fridge overnight and smoke. Is 200 degrees F considered cold or hot smoking?  Would a mix of hickory and apple be best for bacon?

Habanero Smoker

When you get over 180°F and into 200°F you are into barbequing temperatures. Depending on the source, when cold smoking the cabinet temperature is kept under 90°F. Hot smoking is between approximately 90°F to 180°F.

I use 225°F when smoke/cooking Canadian Bacon, but for something like jowls I would use a lower temperature. After air drying until the surface is tacky to the touch, I would hot smoke it at around 160°F - 170°F, and bring the internal temperature to 140°F - 145°F. Or you could just cold smoke it, and finish cooking it later; just prior to eating. You can air dry it overnight, uncovered in the refrigerator, or air dry it in the Bradley at around 140°F; without smoke.

A mix of hickory and apple sounds good. I'm partial to using pecan for smoking pork. Maple also works well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)