Hi, from Southern Indiana

Started by harleyr warrior, January 23, 2016, 12:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleyr warrior

Hello. New to this site.
I Bought a 4 rack Bradley  before Christmas . I have smoked a couple chickens, a turkey and a few other things. I have had great luck with help from the post on this site. I am not real happy with the  heat it generates  and I have read alot about different  mods. I have purchased  a 725 watt element  with connections on both ends from info on this site. Was wanting to remove original  element  and put new element  in. Not wanting a big change in heat performance but an improvement.  I understand  the change will not hurt circuitry. Is this correct?  Thanks in advace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

tskeeter

You'd be OK with your 725 watt element.  Your element and the puck burner, combined, will draw just over 7 amps.  The fuse in your smoker is a 10 amp fuse.

harleyr warrior

Quote from: tskeeter on January 23, 2016, 10:46:54 AM
You'd be OK with your 725 watt element.  Your element and the puck burner, combined, will draw just over 7 amps.  The fuse in your smoker is a 10 amp fuse.
Thanks, I'm in the process  of modifying. Got the old rod element out and can mount 725 watt new element fairly easy. Concerned  about the heat and the wiring. On the old rod element wiring was protected by porcelain  covers. Concerned about melting wires from heat generated.  Any suggestions  help will be appreciated. Feel I'm at a road block and not wanting to move on till I'm sure.

Salmonsmoker

I've been running a 900 watt element on the original wires for 4 years without problem. You're good to go.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tskeeter

Quote from: harleyr warrior on January 23, 2016, 11:34:18 AM
Thanks, I'm in the process  of modifying. Got the old rod element out and can mount 725 watt new element fairly easy. Concerned  about the heat and the wiring. On the old rod element wiring was protected by porcelain  covers. Concerned about melting wires from heat generated.  Any suggestions  help will be appreciated. Feel I'm at a road block and not wanting to move on till I'm sure.

You're OK.  The smoker cabinet wiring is high temp appliance wire. 

I suspect the reason for the ceramic holders for the rod style heating element is that they non-conductive and that they are economical to produce in large quantities.

harleyr warrior

Quote from: tskeeter on January 23, 2016, 02:08:42 PM
Quote from: harleyr warrior on January 23, 2016, 11:34:18 AM

You're OK.  The smoker cabinet wiring is high temp appliance wire. 

I suspect the reason for the ceramic holders for the rod style heating element is that they non-conductive and that they are economical to produce in large quantities.
We'll  I made my mod took some pics to show. I took old rod element  out unscrewed  the ends and took the porcelain ends off. I set new finned element  in unit to see where wires would reach. Drilled holes through the back and ran bolts through back and through porcelain  ends I removed and mounted element.  Shield over old element  I grinder on both end between  legs to bolt on for clearance for wires. Here's some pics. Just got to see how it works. Thanks for all the help.

beefmann

harleyr warrior

Temp up to 250 fairly quick. Seems to be a better element than original element  that came with it.

Salmonsmoker

You might also consider putting a heat deflector shield between your new element and the back of the cabinet to keep the extra heat from "baking" the cabinet insulation in that area.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

harleyr warrior

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on January 24, 2016, 09:16:08 AM
You might also consider putting a heat deflector shield between your new element and the back of the cabinet to keep the extra heat from "baking" the cabinet insulation in that area.
Yes I agree. Original element  had worked on insulation  some. I read some where about  using another type of insulation back there that withstand heat better but I can't  remember  what it was. Also have been told use welder's blanket to wrap around  it. A deflecter yes ,but it think the element  mod was just a beginner step to iprovements I need to do. Would like to use for many years. I like my Bradley. I bought it because  of the puck feeder burner. I believe  they could improve on the cabinet. It looks exactly  like the small refrigerators we have at work. I know it's not supposed  to be a heat machine. I just want to be able to put food in smoker and smoke and slowly  cook it. My turkey I cooked in oven at 350 in a bag for 45 minutes  then smoker for 3. It was great. Two chickens 4 hours in smoker. Not done finished  in oven. That transferring  crap is for the birds. I haven't  owned my smoker very long but I can see already improvements  I would like to make. Nothing that hard or big or expensive. Just well thought out improvements. This site has been gold mine of information. I think everyone  that has responded  to me and everyone  that I have read thir post. I truely think I need to work on the insulation  factor at the point of heat source. I can't  remember  what it's called but it's on here some where. Thanks for all your help.

Habanero Smoker

Bradley does install extra insulation just behind the element. It looks like some type of thin mineral wool is installed under the first layer of insulation; but only directly behind the element. If the back doesn't get too hot that you can't hold your hand on it, you may not need to install the extra insulation.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

harleyr warrior

When I installed  new element  I removed the back of the unit and saw some heat damage  to insulation.  I does get to hot to touch. No after installing  new 725 watt element  smoking two chickens and two hours into it element  not working  preformed  great until then. Now not working at all. Have to finish in oven. Plugged unit directly  into receptacle, bypassing puck smoker still no heat. Any suggestions? All I know is let her cool and go back to modifications. Fuses? Where are they? By directly plugging it in didn't I bypass  fuses?

TedEbear

Quote from: harleyr warrior on January 24, 2016, 02:54:11 PMFuses? Where are they? By directly plugging it in didn't I bypass  fuses?

There's an inline fuse in the back of the cabinet.  What temp did you heat the cooking chamber to?  The Bradley doesn't like it much over 275*F.

harleyr warrior

No ran about 250 put birds in dropped  to 200 l, 210 stayed there I know what the problem is. I checked element. It's still good. Got power  from puck heater. Wire burnt into going to element. I like a dummy  couldn't  get shield to direct the heat up so I was able to m ount  it turned down. Thought  it would  keep drippings off better less fire Hazzard.  Got wires hot melted them into. Not just got to find some heat resistant wire and conections. Make a heat shied for behind it and direct it upward posibly.  Finding wires and conections. Will be the hardest.

harleyr warrior

I just  ordered  high heat 14 guage 1000 f wire and conectors. Going to rewire. Put in heat shield and replace insulation  in back with some really  good insulation  for that heat.