Beef Jerky in a 6 rack

Started by Peterbiltsb, January 23, 2016, 08:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterbiltsb

We've had our smoker for about 5 months now.  It is mostly used for beef jerky but unfortunately it takes FOREVER!!!  I called Bradley Customer Service and was told this forum would have the answers!

My boyfriend likes the Wild Bills Jerky so I have the rub down for the most part but it usually takes close to 14 hours to finish.  I put it in and smoke with the pucks for 2 hours then have the oven on for 6 hours at around 160 but I usually have to go back and add another four hours if not more to finish.  The meat strips are thin, I use the meat cutter from Cabela's. 

Please let me know if there is something I can do to change or if I am doing something incorrectly.  Thank you!

Grouperman941

Is your vent wide open? The convection is more important than the heat, and the moisture needs somewhere to go.

I am no jerky expert, but the longest a batch has taken for me is 8 hours (in a 4-rack).
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Peterbiltsb

The vent is about halfway open....valid point though!

Orion

I would suggest you open the vent fully. Seems contrary but that is how they work. All the moist air is keeping it cool and just re-condensing on your product.

Also, give your jerky 1 hour at 140 with no smoke... drying stage.
Then smoke for desired flavour at 160...say 2 hours.
Then turn heat to 180 to finish... another 3-4 hours .

If you aren't aware, when you set the temperature to 160, the actual chamber temp is fluctuating constantly between about 140 and
170. Don't be afraid to turn it up to higher temps to finish your product. The meat takes a long time to achieve the set temp so it's not going to get fried in a hurry if you turn it up.

Also rotate your racks periodically. Good luck with it all.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Peterbiltsb

Thank you!! We do rotate racks so they dry evenly but thank you for the input!! ;D

just a smokin

hello there i have made a lot of jerky now in my manual 4 racks (Bradley) ,and actually i run 3 of them at a time usually when I'm doing my jerky.what i do and works for me is ,first off i have all three in a smoke box to start with as i call it ,just to keep the wind away and even then this smoke box is inside another building which also helps with keeping outside heat around.

then i take the morning I'm gonna go and smoke and preheat @160 and at this time do another inspection on my smoker cleaning what ever else might have to be touched up . but hey I'll preheat with out smoke for sometimes an hour or two even while i load my racks.

Then once loaded i carry all racks and meat down to the smoker and load one smoker at a time until i am done then i add my smoke pucks. when doing this i do a few things different as compared to some because i have the brick in the bottom ,no tinfoil on it,and then i use a larger tray and i do not use water in there at all.

the amount of pucks i add pucks are enough to smoke for 2- 2 1/2  hours. and i keep my top vent open usually 1/4-1/3 the way open just enough so i can stick the end of my finger in it a bit.

then i usually smoke/cook for around 3 1/2- 4 1/2 hours and then im done .i do not open the door at all to help save and keep heat in there. but once done i turn all heat off then unload meat in to my tub right there and carry to the house and let cool down even before i try it . and from there i usually have good luck with it .

i hope this helps you out some ,in case your wondering i usually do my smoking the winter time and it is cold.
thanks

Peterbiltsb

Thank you ! This does help big time.  It's cold here now and something must be up with the smoker I've checked my plugs and they're all set but it's TAKING FOREVER I've been setting the temp at 170 for 4-6 hours rotating trays and it still isn't done.  We have had this smoker for about 2 years and it is not consistent what so ever!  Quite frankly it's awful.  I have my seasoning right finally but no matter how many times I use this thing it never smokes the same.

RAF128

I also have trouble finishing jerky in my 6 rack.   My solution is to smoke it for a few hours and then transfer to a dehydrator.  Done in no time

Grouperman941

Quote from: RAF128 on January 08, 2017, 04:36:27 AM
I also have trouble finishing jerky in my 6 rack.   My solution is to smoke it for a few hours and then transfer to a dehydrator.  Done in no time

I tried this for the first time this Christmas season. More consistent results and frees up the smoker for other things. I did three hours in the smoker (smoking at 160F) and then transfer to the dehydrator.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?