oops...up in flames, a cautionary tale of FIRE!

Started by hansmatt, January 25, 2016, 09:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hansmatt

I've been smoking using Bradley smokers for nearly 15 years, and just ended my relationship with my second unit on Saturday.  This was a somewhat amicable separation, though one that I did not anticipate coming.  Like many things in life, sometimes being blindsided makes things easier to accept and move on from. 
  I had been considering modifying my smoker, perhaps adding a new heating element or controller, as temps in Wisconsin make it challenging to achieve temps over 200. This was to be a spring time task, so instead I had mounted the smoker to a beefy furniture dolly base, giving her some mobility and making access a bit easier. I just stocked up on a variety of wood pucks, and was ready for the remainder of the winter smoking season.

We were hosting a neighborhood gathering, where the majority of friends are foodies with high expectations.  I was eager to step up to the challenge by smoking a #16 prime brisket that had been aging for a few weeks in the refrigerator.  It was trimmed and salted Thursday night, coated in a nice dry rub on Friday, and entered my trusty Bradley on Friday night for an overnight 15 hour low-and-slow hickory-smoke bath.  I placed enough hickory pucks to let it smoke for 3 hours, and let the magic begin.
  All was beautiful at 6am Saturday morning, when the meat temp achieved the ideal 151 degrees.  The bark was the color of a nice amber beer, with the sizzle and fat-glaze that started a Pavolian response. It was a "Wisconsin cool" 10 degrees" outside, and the smoker temperature had stalled at 180. At this point the packer-cut was tightly wrapped in foil and returned to the vault.  I anticipated another 4-6 hours with no smoke would bring the temperature up to 203. I closed the top vent a little to prevent excessive heat loss and bring the temp up a bit, and went on a run with my better half.
  An hour later, I returned from my run to find my neighbor trotting from my back yard..."is your smoker supposed to have fire?" he queried.  I rounded the house to find flames licking around the door of the smoker and black smoke bellowing from it's innards.  The thermometer had melted from the door and flames appeared around the edge making it appear like some sort of possessed cyclops.
  As any good backyard cook worth his or her spices would agree with, my first concern was for the beautiful brisket that I was about to bring into the world.  As the melted gasket around the door was providing valuable oxygen to the mix, I held the door shut with my shoe, hoping to suffocate the flames, but alas it was too much.  I pulled the Bradley into the snow-covered yard far away from the house and opened the door.  Flames shot 8 feet into the air with the fresh breath of oxygen, melting the surrounding snow.  After the initial blast I was able to pluck the wrapped meat out and begin life-saving measures.
  I lopped the smoker on to its open face and buried it in snow to quell the flames.  She roasted and smoldered for another 2 hours before finally giving in.  She gave up a good fight.

I truly lucked out...things could have been bad...really bad.

Here are my suggestions to all...no matter your experience...it could happen to you too.

1)  make sure your smoker is well away from any combustibles.  House siding, fence, anything.  Mine was 3 feet away from a metal door...this is not enough.

2)My smoker was well used, but also well cared for.  It had been cleaned thoroughly in late fall with only two big smokes (pork butts) since then.  Though the Drip tray (the V-tray) was cleaned well, make sure that all the holes/vents are unobstructed.  EVERY TIME!!!

3)Make sure the meat does not touch the sides or back.  I could imagine that any fat would possibly drip down the walls of the smoker, possibly igniting on the element. 

4) I trust the Bradley to keep temp and smoke for extended periods.  It didn't falter in this charge...but you must have it visible, and you must keep an eye on progress.

The meat was salvaged.  It was a bit charred on the outside despite it's foil armor, but given the circumstances... life was pretty good.  I was left with the sunken shell of a trusty smoker, and a good story.  I'll never know exactly what happened...grease on the element, wiring that should have been replaced, clogged drip holes on the V-tray?  In the end, it doesn't matter.  My family and home are unharmed.

so...I guess I have to move on.  I was not prepared for this.   I'm not one to really look for a rebound relationship.  I was happy with what we had, though I know I must move on.  My buddies told me to look at this as an opportunity, not a setback.   What next??? Do I go stay in my comfort zone and try to rebuild my relationship with another Bradley?  Do I venture on and try a pellet smoker, or even throw-back to a traditional old-school stick burner?  Do I dare dip my toe in the exotic Kamado ceramics?  Offset linear setup, or retro-UDS barrel?  The future options are endless, but the sting of history is still there...

Though I'd welcome relationship suggestions from anyone with experience, I'm more interested in sharing this tale of caution to make sure that everyone is careful with using your smoker.  I don't know exactly what happened, and though I thought I was being cautious, this stuff happens.  Please be careful.  Happy smoking.
Matt
Western Wisconsin

Jim O

Thanks for the warning/cautions. Well written and much appreciated.

Sorry for your loss ,but glad that there was no further damage or any injuries. Can't offer any suggestions regarding a replacement smoker,as all I have is my 6 year old,well used Bradley . I hope your next smoker,what ever she may be , serves you as well as your Bradley.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Habanero Smoker

Glad to hear there was no damage to your house, or injury to your family.

You bring up some good points, and this would be a good time to post a link about how to handle a fire in the Bradley. It does need an update, and I will include some of the points you posted in the update.
What To Do Incase Of A Bradley Fire

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Orion

My deepest condolences to you and your family. I can only hope that you are all able to be together and support one another in this, the darkest of dark hours.

You made every effort you could to save your old friend so don't blame yourself. It must have torn you apart having to yank its plug and toss it in the snow like an old sardine can that no one wants.

Thanks for the safety reminder. How brave to let others learn through your tragic loss and so soon into the grieving! One day you will be with your smoker again.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.