First smoke results

Started by jeffncris, February 07, 2016, 07:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffncris

First off,I've gotta say the ribs were F*****G outstanding! Better than any I have ever had by miles. All credit to the info I have been able to get through this site, the <jan's rub knocked it out of the park, and all the personal tips passed on through my other posts. A huge thank you to all of you!

Now, some observations on the Bradley:

1. warm up, with the oven temp set to 320 and with the smoke generator on,vent 3/4 open, took 35 minutes to reach 230. Good day, 60 F , no wind to speak of. Does this seem about right to you guys?

2. When I put in the room temp meat (two racks baby back, oven 230 F) the temp dropped to 182 F, then slowly recovered to 221. I had to keep the oven temp set to max, 320, to keep the internal temp at 220. If this is normal, cool, I'm gonna cook at 220 anyway. I did turn off the smoke generator after my last puck, and the temp remained stable.

3. Doing a 5 pound pork loin tomorrow, looking for an internal temp of 140. Can you guys give me a ballpark figure on how long that will take?

Thanks again guys, I'm a VERY happy smoker thanks to you all.

Salmonsmoker

It appears that your smoker is operating normally. After the last puck you can leave the smoke generator on for the extra heat it'll provide. Re; your pork loin - USDA minimum IT of 145F for fresh pork. I think your smoker is going to get a whole lot of action! ;D
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Habanero Smoker

As mentioned by Salonsmoker, your Bradley appears to be operating normally. During longer cooks; when you leave the setting on 320°F, you will probably see the cabinet temperature increase, as you meat's internal temperature rises. So during those cooks you may need to adjust the cabinet temperature.

The USDA recommendation for fresh pork is 145°F, but that is the USDA recommended minimum safe temperature that is use for all fresh whole cuts of meat and fish. I cook my pork to about 140°F to 142°F. Many chefs and restaurants are using 140°F internal temperature for pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 07, 2016, 01:07:04 PM
As mentioned by Salonsmoker, your Bradley appears to be operating normally. During longer cooks; when you leave the setting on 320°F, you will probably see the cabinet temperature increase, as you meat's internal temperature rises. So during those cooks you may need to adjust the cabinet temperature.

The USDA recommendation for fresh pork is 145°F, but that is the USDA recommended minimum safe temperature that is use for all fresh whole cuts of meat and fish. I cook my pork to about 140°F to 142°F. Many chefs and restaurants are using 140°F internal temperature for pork.

Forgot to add the approximate cooking time. At 225°F; it will take approximately 2.5 to 3.5 hours to reach 140°F. A lot will depend on the recovery time of your Bradley, and the thickness of your loin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jeffncris

Thanks Habanero and Salmonsmoker. Smoking as I type this!