beef roast smoked in new smoker

Started by just a smokin, February 07, 2016, 03:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just a smokin

Hey all ,well i went and bought a new Traeger pellet grill the other day and tried it out last night smoking a 6 1/2 LBS beef tenderloin roast . Wow that was great,everything people have said around here on how to smoke and temps to look for really helped me out .I am gonna try to send some pics now to explain my time of fun.  :)

now you can see i have my roast on the counter top cleaning it up and getting ready .

spices all gathered up and ready to use for my mixture

spices are now all mixed up ,just need to go and first put on some Dijon mustard then add my spice mixture .You have to understand i have no idea of how this will taste , just good i hope as my wife is threatening me for maybe wasting a roast.   :P

first thing i did was to go and inject apple juice in several spots ,then put Dijon mustard on,then added my spices and how all tightly wrapped in saran wrap to sit in the fridge overnight to go and let juices soak into the meat

now next morning , i am gonna go and mix up extra spices to make sure i have enough of everything. i will also reapply the Dijon mustard too.

and here is the roast from the fridge after it has been sitting .... oh probably 10-15 hours .it actually does'nt look to bad i think

again this is my spices before i added them to my roast the second time before it hits the smoking/cooking process

all mixed up and ready to start ... 8) lets just hope things turn out good ...

now at the last minute i got a crazy idea  :-\ mmm..mmm.. maybe it would be a good idea to try and sear the outside of this roast before i place it on the smoker.wrong idea ..lol .. lost a lot of my spices as they stayed on the barbecue even with the hot temp.

;D lol finally life is good as i have the roast on the smoker and things are looking good ...except ... good lesson learned ...  >:( make sure you add more pellets to smoke and heat with as i ran out and then had to start all over again with the heating process.while my wife is laughing at me ,but still reminding me that company is coming over later ... for roast ...

yahoo ... :D finally done ,just hope this tastes good,now i will now take and wrap the roast in tinfoil with a little bit of apple juice and let it cool down down to let the juices settle in and mix up .

its a win , the roast tastes real good ,if anything i went and cooked a bit to long .i went to internal temp of 153F just trying to keep everybody happy . This was a great time ,had a lot of fun at it ,as i would like to go and do it again however i would like to go for a smaller internal temp 145 say.This had cooked for about 6-7 hours at ruffly 215-235 F and had stayed wrapped in the tinfoil for about an hour too .

Wildcat

Looks great! I always put twice the amount of pellets I plan to use in the hopper. It takes little effort to take them back out for storage after the cook.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Salmonsmoker

Great first cook on your Traeger JAS! It's always a big win in the "wife "department> ;) For your next roast, or steak for that matter, try a technique called a "reverse sear". Roast/grill @ the temperature you prefer(I prefer 275F ) until you reach an IT 5-8 degrees F below youe desired IT. You'll get "carry-over" heat that will bring the IT to your desired temp. Pull the meat off the grill and cover loosely w/foil, then turn your smoker up to sear temperatures. While your grill is heating up, the meat is doing it's rest. When the grill is up to sear temp. put the meat back on for 1-1/2 to 2 min per side to carmelize by malliard reaction. You're not losing the spices, they're part of the crust/bark. Once off the grill the meat is ready to serve as the rest has been done.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

just a smokin

hey wow, sure that sounds good I like that. I'll have to go and do that next time for sure.thank you for the advice ,that's why I like to go and post pics here , lol that way people can see my work but also give good advice too. :)

Dan