Auber + dual elements. Been through a few elements

Started by Iowabucks, February 11, 2016, 09:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowabucks

Can anyone with an Auber dual probe, and dual elements tell me if they have burned out a few elements along the way?

I modified mine with an extra element when I purchased new, and I love the way it comes up to temp quick and stays there. I would never go back to one element again. But after using my Bradley maybe a dozen times, I have just burned out my second element in that amount time. Has anyone else had the same problems? It always seems to happen at the worst time too.

I wired it myself. Both elements have their own in-line fuse and temp sensor to keep from any fires. Never had it kick out a breaker. They just seem to stop working, not both at the same time, just one of the two. The continuity test shows an open circuit.

I'm about ready to replace the most recent burned out element, and wondering how long this one will last.

Habanero Smoker

I'm not using an Auber, I use either my Stoker or as a backup my Guru. I also didn't wire in a second in-line fuse, or sensor.  I never had any problems with my elements burning out. I know back on 2011 there was a bad batch of elements.

Have you tested the resistance of the element. Unhook a wire for one side, and use a multimeter to test the OHMs. If the element is good, you should get a reading of 27 to 32.  I would double check to make sure the temperature sensor is working properly.

When and where did you purchase your elements from? Maybe where you purchased them from, the seller may have sold you elements from that bad batch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Iowabucks

One of the two elements that went bad was the original, and the other was from Yard and Pool. I just received another two from them, to replace the 2nd bad one and another just for a spare. I have owned the smoker for about 4 years so maybe I did end up with a couple bad ones. Lets hope.

Whenever I notice a bad element I do a continuity check and they are usually dead. The new element I just put in this morning had about 30 ohms, so that one should be good. I just tested it and could see both elements glowing, the newer ones always seem to glow brighter. But as long as they are both working, it wont take forever to heat up.

Must not be anyone else out there with problems?

Habanero Smoker

Being that you purchased the smoker four years ago, the elements could very well have been from the bad batch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)