Noob needs some input please

Started by nhasian, February 11, 2016, 11:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhasian

Hello,

First of all I've never owned a smoker, only a gas grill. I've researched gas powered, charcoal, pellet fed, smokers and I think I've finally decided on a Bradley Smoker. I've read a little on the forums and it is my understanding that it is best to go with a BS611 smoker along with a PID (I would like to smoke salmon). Any input on recommendations for different makes or models would be appreciated. Here is what I am considering (amazon wish list http://amzn.com/w/L2XK3I92681E)

$246 Bradley Smokers Original Smoker BS611
$ 29 Bradley All Weather Cover 4 Rack
$200 Dual-Probe PID Controller WSD-1200GPH by Auber (is this thing really $200??)

Question why would I need a $79 Bradley BCOLD Smoker Cold Smoke Adapter?

Habanero Smoker

Hi nhasian,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't give generally do not give advice on which model to purchase, but I can answer your question on the cold smoke adapter.

When the bisquette burner is on, it produces around 550°F of heat at the surface of the burner. Depending on the ambient temperature, whether or not the Bradley is in the sun, etc.; this amount of heat can bring the temperature of the cabinet up to 120°F - 140°F. That is way above cold smoking temperatures. To cold smoke without purchasing the adapter, you can place ice inside the smoker, and/or occasionally crack the door to allow excess heat to escape. Some wedge the door open about 1/4" or so for the entire smoking period. Some have built their own cold smoke adapters. Search this forum or click on the link below.
Cold Smoke Setup

Other things to consider when cold smoking, keep the smoker out of the sun, and when possible cold smoke in the early morning or late evening; usually the cooler parts of the day. To keep more accurate temperature inside the cabinet, purchase a digital probe thermometer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

welcome aboard,

i own a 4 rack and have for close to  10 years,,, smokes in it  most  every  month has a  custom pid built into it,, The 4 rack has served me  quite well over the  years,,, there has  been  less then 10 times i wished i hard a  larger smoker, by this i mean  wider,,, not so much taller,... this  way i could do full racks of  ribs and  not  have to cut them... or a  full length brisket... so i cut the  ribs and  brisket  down...

as for getting the 4 rack,, ,get it and you   will  enjoy it for  many  years...the controller you  are  looking at ,,, the  controller is a  great unit to have,,, helps keep temperatures constant  with no fluctuations.

also a  note,, ,depending on conditions, such as  wind, cooler temperatures, and  especially meat loads .. the  temp inside your box will drop significantly. do not worry bout this,,, this is normal ... just go with it... it  will take care of its  self.

also.. remember a  smoker is like a  crock pot,,, a  slow cooker...  meaning  low and  slow...  most  cook at 225 to  250 F     

look here for your  pid    http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=380

TedEbear

Quote from: nhasian on February 11, 2016, 11:42:01 PM
$200 Dual-Probe PID Controller WSD-1200GPH by Auber (is this thing really $200??)

Welcome aboard.  You can get a single probe for slightly less or if you like to tinker you can get a PID controller for around $45.  With everything needed to make it all work, the total cost will be around $70-$80.

Single Probe Auber PID Controller ($143.50) WS-1211GPH

Dual Probe Auber PID Controller ($170) WSD-1200GPH

Do-it-yourself Auber PID Controller ($46.50) SYL-2352 - I have this one

Grouperman941

Quote from: nhasian on February 11, 2016, 11:42:01 PM

If you are making fish or sausage, it's probably the best $200 you'll ever spend. Over time, put that over pounds of awesome food made with the PID's help, and it's peanuts.

You can go without, but you will have to constantly babysit your temp to keep from ruining your salmon.

You can rock a lot of other things without, though.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Kummok

I smoke a LOT of salmon and have a great time teaching salmon smoking classes in Alaska. Speaking to my own experience, I was were you are on the same decision right before retiring from my fire department in 2002. I knew I wanted a Bradley but wasn't that sure about what else I should get with it. Now, after 14 years of smoking mostly salmon, I've owned 5 "Original Black" Bradleys and the only thing I add are the Maverick temp monitor, jerkey racks, and silicone frogmats. I store my Bradleys inside now so no longer need the cover. I've been tempted to buy the PID controller but can't honestly say, after 14 years of doing this, that I've ever really needed one for what I smoke. Not saying that they aren't good to own, just saying that I haven't needed one...that fact that I'm Scottish might have something to do with that decision....Be sure to post results and keep on smooo-kin'!