how to tell when chicken is done,cooked or smoked

Started by just a smokin, February 14, 2016, 11:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just a smokin

hey there all i was reading some different older posts this am and afternoon and now have a question for everyone?  :D when cooking chicken i guess you want an It of 165,however ,how much of your meat probe has to be in the bird. i mean just the end 1/2 inch say?lol yea i know maybe kinda of a crazy question to go and ask right,but still the probe is 3-4 inches long, i would say just end actually has to be in the bird i believe ...right????

then also i can still go and do the napkin test with white paper ,meaning the juice that comes from the bird has to be clear in order to be done,any color to it ,it is not done. and then also if it looks like there is slightly redness there around bones ,don't be alarmed because this also comes from the marrow with cooking at lower temperatures.so again the napkin/white paper test will tell all ,and if you have to go and make a slight cut in the meat to get this juice from the bird ,then do it . :)

thanks Dan

Habanero Smoker

It is best to go by proper placement of the thermometer, that way you are less likely to be surprised at the table. If it is a whole chicken, I measure at the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone, midway the thickness of the meat. Others like to use the breast. The below links discuss thermometers, and meat internal temperatures in different meats, and cuts.

Meat - When Is It Done? Part 1
Thermometer placement is towards the end of the article.

Meat - When Is It Done? Part 2
Internal Meat Temperatures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bullhunch69

First time using Tapatalk.  I just bought a Bradley BTDS76P.  I'm trying to figure where route the wireless meat thermometer probe into the tower so I'm not breaking the seal on the door.  Is that the only way to route the probe wire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedEbear

Quote from: Bullhunch69 on March 01, 2016, 11:12:06 AM
First time using Tapatalk.  I just bought a Bradley BTDS76P.  I'm trying to figure where route the wireless meat thermometer probe into the tower so I'm not breaking the seal on the door.  Is that the only way to route the probe wire?

You can run it through the vent on top but most of us just route it between the door and seal.  The seal is flexible enough that there's no air or smoke leak.

BTW, welcome aboard.  :)

Bullhunch69

Thanks TedEbear.  Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk