Questions about Gregs Beef sticks

Started by JakeDatank51, February 15, 2016, 10:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeDatank51

I did a small batch in the oven this weekend ( had an issue come up and could not use the smoker). Anyways the taste in amazing, but I think I used the wrong beef, or the oven got to high of temp. I believe the beef was 80% lean. Do you need a leaner beef, or did my oven just get too hot and fatted them out. You can tell when they dried the fat came out of the meat. My oven will only go to 170 so I ran them on 170 until IT got to 152. Pulled them, cold water bath, and let them dry at room temp for a few hours then put them in the fridge on wax paper to let them cool some more. Any suggestions would be great. I also did not mix any pork with the beef. I am planning on doing venison sticks soon but wanted to try a batch of beef before I used the venison.

dave01

I make these regularly, your temps look good but I use 85-15. The sticks seem to do better if you leave them in a paper bag for a couple of days after your done. Not sealed and in the fridge of course

mustangmoe

Most ovens will not run to the lower end temp you have set, they tend to cycle up and down a good 20-30 degrees. I would say you fatted out because of that cycling effect.