Trying Pork again.

Started by heinz, August 14, 2006, 08:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robs

Quote from: icerat4 on August 15, 2006, 10:14:28 AM
Maybe dump a bunch of liquid smoke on the food.That might help ya out. ;D

umm. Thanks for that. I'm being serious i guess.

When I ate at Famous Dave's last week (I love their brisket) I asked them about their smoking process. He said that they receive the brisket presliced from "headquarters". Dave wants it cut a certain way (against the grain) so I guess this is closely monitored. When they get it, it's already sliced so they just heat it up in the smoker using hickory. So it's double smoked.

I don't think my question was so out of line. I have just noticed that brisket and pork shoulder has more of a smoke flavor at Famous Dave's and other places and was wondering if 4 or 5 hours of smoke in the BS seems to be to your liking.

Having said that, from what I understand, the meat doesn't take on smoke after 4 or 5 hours (at the surface). Does this mean that during the 4 hours in the BS that it's only putting out 1/2 the smoke as an Oklahoma Joe or other smoker? This seems like the most logical explanation to me. If the pucks were twice the size, I bet that a 3 hour smoke with the large puck would produce a stronger flavor than a 6 hour smoke with the current size pucks.

Having said that...it leads me back to my origonal question. Does smoke for 4 or 5 hours in BS on a brisket or pork butt produce enough of a smoke taste for you? For me the answer is no. I need more smoke.

I'm just trying to get ideas from others. So far, I know that I can use liquid smoke.

heinz

I think the liquid smoke comment was meant as a friendly jab, at least that's the way I took it :)

I'm still trying to figure out the amount of smoke in the BS compared to my old methof of using an off-set. My biggest 'adjustment' is the lack of the smoke ring to see if/how successfull a smoke was. Haven't ventured an experiment using curing salt to add nitrate.

I do believe the magic number is 140-ish degrees. After that no more smoke is absorbed. Perhaps re-heating in the smoker (as per Famous Dave's) leaves a residual smoke for taste. Just guessing though. Food for thought... pun intended :)

icerat4

Yes it was i guess.I have a friend who has a bs and he says his food is always over smoked.Its all about the persons taste buds in this smoking deal.DIDNT mean anything about the liquid smoke i just thought that might help out  ;).

Just another weekend with the smoker...

robs

Quote from: heinz on August 15, 2006, 11:32:48 AM
I think the liquid smoke comment was meant as a friendly jab, at least that's the way I took it :)

I'm still trying to figure out the amount of smoke in the BS compared to my old methof of using an off-set. My biggest 'adjustment' is the lack of the smoke ring to see if/how successfull a smoke was. Haven't ventured an experiment using curing salt to add nitrate.

I do believe the magic number is 140-ish degrees. After that no more smoke is absorbed. Perhaps re-heating in the smoker (as per Famous Dave's) leaves a residual smoke for taste. Just guessing though. Food for thought... pun intended :)

Yeah, I think you are right about the friendly jab. I'm going to play around with the temps for the first 4-5 hours and start keeping a (better) log.

robs

Quote from: icerat4 on August 15, 2006, 11:37:56 AM
Yes it was i guess.I have a friend who has a bs and he says his food is always over smoked.Its all about the persons taste buds in this smoking deal.DIDNT mean anything about the liquid smoke i just thought that might help out  ;).

Ok, thanks for the help.

The only food that I have over smoked in the bs is jerky. I'll keep playing around.

rob

acords

Rob

Just a thought, what type of wood are you using?  Some woods will leave a stronger flavor.  Mesquite for one, I also feel that oak is a bit stronger too.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

robs

Quote from: acords on August 15, 2006, 12:50:46 PM
Rob

Just a thought, what type of wood are you using?  Some woods will leave a stronger flavor.  Mesquite for one, I also feel that oak is a bit stronger too.

I only use hickory.  Locally, I can only find hickory, mesquite, apple, and special blend. I've been too lazy to order oak, but I think it's time to try it.

thanks for the idea.
rob

icerat4

Quote from: robs on August 15, 2006, 11:17:23 AM
Quote from: icerat4 on August 15, 2006, 10:14:28 AM
Maybe dump a bunch of liquid smoke on the food.That might help ya out. ;D

umm. Thanks for that. I'm being serious i guess.

When I ate at Famous Dave's last week (I love their brisket) I asked them about their smoking process. He said that they receive the brisket presliced from "headquarters". Dave wants it cut a certain way (against the grain) so I guess this is closely monitored. When they get it, it's already sliced so they just heat it up in the smoker using hickory. So it's double smoked.

I don't think my question was so out of line. I have just noticed that brisket and pork shoulder has more of a smoke flavor at Famous Dave's and other places and was wondering if 4 or 5 hours of smoke in the BS seems to be to you

I had never heard of double smoke.Interesting.

TomG

Quote from: acords on August 15, 2006, 12:50:46 PM
Rob

Now there may be a worthy topic for "THE MYTHBUSTERS". ::)

winemakers

Regarding the bring it to room temp first.  My experience is colored with sausage so......  the room temp cuts down on the condensation formed during the first bit of heating.  loooong slow smokes may not matter, but I have had sausage that looks like it has leprosy more than 1'nce because I rushed the process.  Given the low heat recovery of the BS, I choose to put my butt on the counter ::) for a time.

mld

asa

Quote from: heinz on August 15, 2006, 07:05:23 AM
My 'bark' was pretty rough, I.e. burnt . Does that imply I had the heat too high?
I'm planning to shoot for a box temp of 210. Too high/low?

heinz -
I doubt that your outside "bark" was actually burned at that temperature, although I certainly believe it got dark brown or even black in some places. Someone else on this forum has a signature line that says something like "when it's brown it's cooking, when it's black it's done." (apologies to whoever uses that - I like it but didn't have time to look it up)  Smoke + rub on meat = a black surface, or at least a very dark one. That's what I aim for when I'm smoking butts. As others have suggested, that is stuff that you can slice off and chop up very fine, then mix in with the rest of the meat for that great smoked flavor. So don't rule out going for that surface color and using it to your advantage.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

heinz

Thank you all.

I'm 2 1/2 hours into smoking with smoke generator only. Box temp is 140. Vent is 1/4 open.

I plan to leave it go another 4-some hours before turning on heat. I'll probably empty the used up pucks and change water at 4 hours.

For heat I'm debating 210/220 preset on the DBS. At that time I'll add some bacon on the top rack. Any better suggestions re the pre-set? There'll be about a 10 degree swing so the pre-set is actually a max temp as I can't recall having it overshoot.

Still debating on when/how often to spray and what with. At the moment I'm thinking Apple juice cut with water. Open to suggestions :)

As the temp will still be low when I turn the heat on I'm planning to leave smoke on too for a couple of hours or so.

And if it all flops there is always KFC :)

Habanero Smoker

Temperature of the meat when you begin to cook does have an effect on both evenness of cooking and cooking times. The colder the meat the more the outer meat will brown, crust, and "over" cook before the center is done. The cooking time is also increased. This is especially true for thicker cuts of meat. TomG is in a way bringing the meat up to "room" temperature at the beginning of his cook time, by placing it in the smoker with just the generator on. I'm not sure what the cabinet temperature would be, but myself I would be concerned if it was below 140°F during a four hour smoke for meat that is not cured.

It's a matter of preference how you want the texture of the outer meat to turn out. Some use the cold temperature of meat as an advantage. For thinner cuts of meats such as steaks, chops, fish etc.; starting with cold meat before placing it on the grill or pan gives one a nice crust and the center does not over cook.

From my experience, preheating, especially going over the cooking temperature by 25°F-50°F before loading, brings you up to your cooking temperature faster. For slow cooking large cuts of meat I prefer consistency in the cooking temperature throughout the smoke. I find it saves more time then 30 minutes. I have noticed by preheating my smoker and extra 25°F above the cooking temperature my BS comes up to temperature in half the time it would if I preheated it to the actual cooking temperature.

But again, it's one's personal preference in how you want to smoke. So if one finds a way to get the results one wants, then keep doing it. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

If times not a biggie.And time is not a biggie for me .I do room temp the meats but i dont preheat the bs.Both the machines i have get temps up pretty fast.So half hour hour is no biggie on getting the stuff done.Imo. ;D

TomG

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 16, 2006, 05:56:13 AM
I'm not sure what the cabinet temperature would be, but myself I would be concerned if it was below 140°F during a four hour smoke for meat that is not cured.

Interesting thought Hab,. I only smoke for 2-2 1/2 before kicking the oven into overdrive and haven't really noticed my smoking temps.  I do know that with my secondary heater it only takes 20-30 mins to get the oven containing 10 #s of meat up to 200*. Hopefully exposure to the dreaded 40-140* killer zone is minimal. Is meat susceptible to the 40-140 nasties while it's being smoked?