2.                 Coat Butt with Pork rub

3.                 Wrap in Cling Wrap plastic

4.                 Put in fridge over night

Friday at around 4:00p.m.

1.     Remove butt from fridge and remove wrap; coat butt with more Pork Rub

2.     Let butt sit 1-2 hours at room temperature

3.     Start the smoker with 4-5 hours of whatever smoke you will use

4.     Place butt on middle shelf

5.     Make sure the slider is all the way to the right on high with top vent open all of the way.  Shut the door and wait until the butt has been smoked for 3 hours

6.     Open the door and check the water in the bowl; fill bowl with water if needed.

7.     When the butt has been smoked for 3 hours, spray apple juice all over the butt. 

8.     when smoke is done at the 4-5 hour mark, put new water in the bowl and then spray the apple juice on the butt again.

9.     Shut door and GO TO BED!!

10. At around 7-8 a.m., check the temperature.  If it is not 195 degrees, do not remove.  Spray some more apple juice on the butt and wait until it reaches 195 degrees

11. When the temp reaches 195 degrees, remove the butt from the smoker and spray again with apple juice.  Then wrap it in foil and place a dishtowel or regular towel around it and place in a cooler or microwave.

12. Wait at least two hours to take the butt out of the foil and remove the fat.

13. READY TO EAT!!   Hope this helps out its a sure deal ive done about 50 or so this way and no problem a sure bet.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

heinz

THANK YOU Icerat4.

Now we just have to find an equivilant setting of the Slider for the Digital.
Gonna be trying your complete 'recipe' next time.

Heinz

Habanero Smoker

Glad everything worked out. Isn't it nice when members stick to the topics. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

TomG

OoooKay, sticking to the topic let me offer a simple seven-puck technique for pork butt.  Simple as in no preheating, no bringing the meat to room temp, no smoking for 5-9 hours, no rotating racks, no bacon, no changing water bowls, no opening oven and spraying, etc., etc., etc.

1-Rub your favorite butt with your favorite rub.
2-Refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
3-When ready to start cooking, with water bowl full and in its usual position, and the vent 1/3rd open, turn on generator and load it with seven Bisquettes(any flavor)and 2 metal pucks
4-Place butt or butts on one of the middle racks and insert the probe of a remote thermometer into the meat.
5-Close the door and leave it closed until finished cooking and ready to debutt.
6-Cold(actually warm) smoke using only the generator's heat pad for 2 hours.
7-After 2 hours turn on the oven and cook at 205* until the meats internal temp. reaches 190*. In my relatively limited experience that will take about 2 1/2-3 hours per pound, so plan accordingly.  If the meat cooks sooner than expected it can be left in the FTC for at least 6 hours and still be hot enough to serve.
8-Remove from oven, spray with 50-50 mixture of apple juice and apple cider.
9-Place in FTC from1-6 hours depending on serving schedule.
10-Pull, slice, eat, enjoy.

If you try it, please let me know the results, good, bad or ugly.

Peace

PS and BTW: If you don't need the generator to maintain a temp. of 205* turn the damn thing off and save it for smoking.  It will be a hell of a lot easier and less expensive to replace the oven heating element.

heinz

I'm about to try again. Got a whole butt, bone in, today. About 8 lbs. Going smoke/cook it without an eating schedule/deadline. No company coming :)

Question is where/how to best monitor the temp. On one of my smokes I had the temp probe under the meat and I think it was too close to give an accurate reading.

I'm contemplating to put this butt on the second rack my temp probe underneath first (bottom) rack in the center.
Doing that can I / should I be expecting to see 205 degrees or will it never get there until smoke/cook is close to done.

I'm still 'learning' about the DBS so I don't want to rely on the preset or the DBS's temp but rather play/experiment so that I can find out what the pre-set and dbs temp probe should be to get the desired results, I.e. the 205.

TIA - Heinz