Question For Kummok

Started by terry08, February 23, 2016, 07:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry08

I read everything you post and my mouth waters every time I view your salmon.
Being from the South, my only option for salmon is Kroger Stores, farm raised. We love cedar planked salmon for dinner. But to purchase wild caught or farm raised for brining and smoking, would break the bank.
My question is, I have a ready supply of large mouth bass, which I fresh catch. It is white meat fish with little oil if any. I have wanted to use your recipe to smoke them for years. Not wanting to sound stupid, I have refrained from asking the question. But now I just have to ask your opinion on this because the Bass are biting and I love smoked salmon. But would like to see if I can have smoked bass.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

TMB

I love bass, but not sure if they would smoke well since the are very "soft" flesh. 

I always fry or grill them because they break up easily if I tried any other way :( :( :( :(

BTW, nice catch....     Where you from??
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

terry08

Quote from: TMB on February 23, 2016, 07:37:08 AM
I love bass, but not sure if they would smoke well since the are very "soft" flesh. 

I always fry or grill them because they break up easily if I tried any other way :( :( :( :(

BTW, nice catch....     Where you from??
Mississippi, got 8 lbs of filets off the big one.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Kummok

Only one way to find out, Terry08...my advice is to go for it. This brine recipe has been used for other meats, trout, moose, venison, beef with great results. I haven't done bass but the trick is in the pellicle forming (aka: drying ) stage, after removing it from the brine. My gut feeling is to use a bit less salt but, again, no experience with bass. Also, I now use only teriyaki and I double the brown sugar over what the original recipe calls for.....be sure to post your results. And, even though I rag on farmed fish, if that's all you can get, it's better than no salmon at all.....

terry08

Quote from: Kummok on February 23, 2016, 08:40:58 PM
Only one way to find out, Terry08...my advice is to go for it. This brine recipe has been used for other meats, trout, moose, venison, beef with great results. I haven't done bass but the trick is in the pellicle forming (aka: drying ) stage, after removing it from the brine. My gut feeling is to use a bit less salt but, again, no experience with bass. Also, I now use only teriyaki and I double the brown sugar over what the original recipe calls for.....be sure to post your results. And, even though I rag on farmed fish, if that's all you can get, it's better than no salmon at all.....
Thank you Kummok, for your response. You can't ask for more than an honest opinion. Which is why I love this site and the people here. Everyone gives answers according to their knowledge and expertise. If they don't have the answer they tell you so. Honesty is so refreshing and rare to find. I will be giving it a try later and post my results,  good or bad. It might just help someone else in the future. Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk