Help needed for canning spaghetti sauce

Started by TMB, March 02, 2016, 12:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

Quote from: RedJada on March 04, 2016, 01:42:40 PM
Quote from: TMB on March 02, 2016, 02:42:20 PM
Quote from: RedJada on March 02, 2016, 01:38:25 PM
Cant help with the canning thing. But sure would be interested in your sauce recipe if you dont mind sharing.
Sure, but one thing you need to know I don't follow recipes well and do my cooking off the cuff as it were but here it is...
matI use Hunts bits and pieces and paste because my Dad taught me that way but you can use what ever kind you want

One pound 73/27 ground meat (fat for flavor) then you skim to fat off later
1.   24 oz can of bits and pieces or crushed tomatoes
1.    16 oz tomato paste (no flavor added)
Enough garlic to cover the bottom of a dutch oven (minced)
A large white onion chopped to small pieces
Olive oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pot (not to deep just cover)
Salt and Pepper to taste
About a Tbl of sugar to take the bite out of the tomato acid
2  Tb's  of a good Basil  (I don't use fresh)
Water.  Add water to the paste can to clean out whats left (you can very that part

MOST IMPORTANT PART So follow step by step or the sauce will not turn out right (Not kidding)

Use a large pot, cover bottom of pot with a good olive oil bring up heat and add garlic DO NOT BROWN garlic just enough heat to simmer
After 15 mins or until the garlic has simmered then add the onion AGAIN DO NOT BROWN simmer til the onion is translucent about 15 more mins

Now when the garlic and onions are cooked turn the heat up to med high then brown the ground beef keep stirring til the meat is browned.
Now add the tomato past and crushed tomato stir in then add the salt, pepper and basil.   After all is mixed in add the sugar and test taste very the sugar to your taste buds. 

Simmer at a very low heat, just enough to bubble to fat up so it can be skimmed once an hour for three hrs or so, continue to simmer for 5 hrs then turn off heat let it set for an hour skim one more time then cool off set in fridge for 2 days before enjoying your new sauce

I promise it is very good, hardy and meaty!   If you dont want meat don't use it, but I love meat sauce

Hope to hear back from folks that try this. My great grand mother taught my dad this recipe 50 or 60 years ago and he taught it to me before he passed back in 2000.  :'( :'(   I miss him so much

Thanks TMB. Might try making some this weekend.
Hope you try it and believe me if you do it like written its good ;D   

I made it one time and did the onions first and it didn't have the same flavor.  By simmering the garlic it releases the oils in it better than if you do another step first then the garlic
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

GusRobin

Quote from: TMB on March 03, 2016, 05:54:41 AM
  Gus, I may pay you to come over and teach this old dog a new trick

Yeah right, like I would take any money to help---call anytime
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

RedJada

And were off. Looking like Wednesday is going to be spaghetti day. I'll post the final results. But man, this is smelling great! Thanks TMB.

TMB

Looking good I hope you enjoy it   I love this sauce and could eat it all the time

OldHickory

Tommy, Mrs Hickory used the pressure cooker until about 3 years ago.  Now she uses Ball jars and lids right out of the dishwasher.  Fills to about 1 inch below the top.  Then she uses the wide mouth attachment with our Foodsaver and pulls a full vacuum.  Then into the freezer.  This has worked well for us and is a lot easier than the pressure cooker........ She also likes your recipe.  Bookmarked. 
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

TMB

Quote from: OldHickory on March 06, 2016, 02:29:10 PM
Tommy, Mrs Hickory used the pressure cooker until about 3 years ago.  Now she uses Ball jars and lids right out of the dishwasher.  Fills to about 1 inch below the top.  Then she uses the wide mouth attachment with our Foodsaver and pulls a full vacuum.  Then into the freezer.  This has worked well for us and is a lot easier than the pressure cooker........ She also likes your recipe.  Bookmarked.
Is that sauce with meat?  I keep reading and being told meat sauce has to be pressure canned

I'm glad she likes it, I hope to hear one day she made it  ;D

OldHickory

Is that sauce with meat?  I keep reading and being told meat sauce has to be pressure canned
I'm glad she likes it, I hope to hear one day she made it  ;D Quote

Tommy, I equate freezing hamburger meat in sauce and a jar to freezing hamburger meat in a bag.  Should be the same with safety.  The vac-um in the jar helps preserve the good taste IMHO.  The pics by ReJada sure look good.  Looking forward to the taste test. I'm sure Mrs. Hickory will give this recipe a try in the future.  ;)

Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

TMB

Quote from: OldHickory on March 07, 2016, 11:14:40 AM

Tommy, I equate freezing hamburger meat in sauce and a jar to freezing hamburger meat in a bag.  Should be the same with safety.  The vac-um in the jar helps preserve the good taste IMHO.  The pics by ReJada sure look good.  Looking forward to the taste test. I'm sure Mrs. Hickory will give this recipe a try in the future.  ;)
I need to get one of those sealer attachments.   The more I look at canning the more $$$$$ I'm gonna have to spend   :o :o :o :o :o

Your wife's way sounds much better and I have everything but the adapter

Thanks!

Tommy

OldHickory

Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

TMB

Quote from: OldHickory on March 07, 2016, 02:12:44 PM
Walmart should have it.  If not, Amazon does $9.99 + S&H.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=foodsaver+jar+sealer+wide+mouth&sprefix=FoodSaver+jar%2Caps%2C361
Will do thanks this really helps.  May even be the best way for my since I have everything but the sealer.

Would like to learn how to can but with two knee surgeries, thumb surgery and a possible back surgery $$$$ is really tight right now :(

RedJada

Quote from: OldHickory on March 07, 2016, 11:14:40 AM

Trust me, it tasted great while cooking. But as with smoking, it's done when its done. Tomorrow will be day 2  ;D

TMB

GusRobin

Quote from: TMB on March 07, 2016, 07:59:22 AM
Quote from: OldHickory on March 06, 2016, 02:29:10 PM
  I keep reading and being told meat sauce has to be pressure canned
It does need to be pressure canned vs hot water canned. That is if you are going to store it in a non refrigerated/freezer environment.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

RedJada

Quote from: TMB on March 07, 2016, 04:14:25 PM
Can't wait to see what you think of it

Hardy, meaty and thick. Sticks to the pasta and dont end up with a plate of water like you do with the store bought sauces. I followed the recipe to a tee. Although it could have been eaten on cook day but letting it set for a couple days really enhanced the flavor. Very easy to make. Here is a meal shot, we like Parmesan cheese, LOL.

TMB

Quote from: RedJada on March 09, 2016, 02:14:24 PM
Quote from: TMB on March 07, 2016, 04:14:25 PM
Can't wait to see what you think of it

Hardy, meaty and thick. Sticks to the pasta and dont end up with a plate of water like you do with the store bought sauces. I followed the recipe to a tee. Although it could have been eaten on cook day but letting it set for a couple days really enhanced the flavor. Very easy to make. Here is a meal shot, we like Parmesan cheese, LOL.

So glad you liked it!   Yes it  can be eaten the same day, but something about letting it sit for a few days to meld really brings out the flavor of the sauce.

Sorry for the late reply, had shots in my back on Wed and was told to stay in bed all day and not to move.  I  couldn't even sit up in bed to play on the computer  :-\ :-\