Help needed for canning spaghetti sauce

Started by TMB, March 02, 2016, 12:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Ok I haven't read all of this thread but want to add my two cents. I made apple sauce and was talked into freezing in zip locks. PAIN IN THE ASS. You have to scoop it out of the bag and it gets all over your hands and by the time you reach the bottom you have had enough so you lose some to not wanting to scrape the bag out. I'll never do it again.
Second I am going to make spaghetti sauce here as soon as the tomatoes get fresher because the crap we get comes from Chile and hothouses from California and have no good flavor. But I will make it without meat and water bath can it. When I make spaghetti I will cook the burger and add it as we do with store bought sauce now. I know it doesn't impart the flavor as well but I have a non meat eating daughter and it is just easier. I don't own a pressure vessel so water bath is easiest for me.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

WoodlawnSmoker

Damn that sauce looks great!  I'm going to try it, but I will have to do it when my wife is out. 😔  She considers herself the sauce master, I'm sure everyone knows what I mean about going against the household expert ;)

TMB

Quote from: Quarlow on March 12, 2016, 01:49:43 PM
Ok I haven't read all of this thread but want to add my two cents. I made apple sauce and was talked into freezing in zip locks. PAIN IN THE ASS. You have to scoop it out of the bag and it gets all over your hands and by the time you reach the bottom you have had enough so you lose some to not wanting to scrape the bag out. I'll never do it again.
Second I am going to make spaghetti sauce here as soon as the tomatoes get fresher because the crap we get comes from Chile and hothouses from California and have no good flavor. But I will make it without meat and water bath can it. When I make spaghetti I will cook the burger and add it as we do with store bought sauce now. I know it doesn't impart the flavor as well but I have a non meat eating daughter and it is just easier. I don't own a pressure vessel so water bath is easiest for me.
No the meat won't add flavor at that point but it will still be better than any store bought sauce you can buy!  ;) ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

TMB

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on March 12, 2016, 06:00:29 PM
Damn that sauce looks great!  I'm going to try it, but I will have to do it when my wife is out. 😔  She considers herself the sauce master, I'm sure everyone knows what I mean about going against the household expert ;)
Thanks, to me it's the best out there!  But it was handed down and tweaked by my late father.

Man I miss his cooking, simple yet all kinds of flavor.   He always said NEVER add water to add moister cause there is no flavor in water,  This sauce is an exception though.  With all the tomato's and spice the water wont hurt a thing.

Now if you fill frisky, add red wine instead of the water.  Little much for me but might be just the thing for some here 
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Piker

When I make sauce I never put meat in it. I cook my meat when I  make a meal. In my sauce recipe I add everything to a slow boil for a few minutes and then add it to my jars. Then into a 250 degree oven for 30 minutes,cool and store. Have never had a problem. I just check the lids to make sure they are concave. Piker