Advice please

Started by Chappy, March 03, 2016, 12:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chappy

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of advice.

I've just prepped and rubbed 2 beef briskets, 6lb and 3lb.
I've also prepped an 8lb pork butt. I plan to start smoking/cookng these at 6pm tomorrow so they are ready to be FTC for Saturday midday (ish). Plan to eat at between 4pm and 6pm   Is this a feasible plan?

I have a DBS 4 rack, Do I but the bigger  Pork Butt lower in the smoker and then move up in size order, smallest brisket at the top?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chappy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat"?

TMB

Should be but I never smoked that much at one time.  Make sure not to LOOK while smoking or the temp drops to fast and takes awhile to recover.  Have a temp probe in you meat so you know whats going on inside there
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

jesse_sanders

Hope it's warm outside where you're at.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ka Honu

As a very rough guess, your cook could go anywhere from 12 to 20 hours. With luck (but not with certainty), you should be well within your window (and 2-3 hours of FTC is plenty if you're running a bit late). In any event, I'd check about 8-10 hours into the cook and adjust (Texas crutch, higher temp, whatever) as necessary.

Pork under beef - not only because of the size but because brisket drippings on pulled pork are better than pulled pork drippings on brisket.

Chappy

Jesse it's very cold here but smoker is in a shed. TMB, thanks for response, got it covered with the probe thanks. Ka, yep I was I was thinking around 16-22 hours. Think I might foil a brick and place it in the bottom of the unit to assist in temperature regain after water changes.

Thanks all:)

gricardsimplycol

Ant time I've done a full smoker it never came up to the proper  temp. I ended after 10 hours and finished in the oven.

Have to say my smoker only worked well once and the next three times in the oven to finish

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chappy

My smoker oven temp normally reads 20 F above what the probe shows.  The meats been in for 9 hours and the pork is at 185F, 10' to go. The bottom rack certainly works quicker for the bigger hunks of meat. Brisket above are at 170.F 15 to go.

Chappy

UPDATE

Cooking took 16hrs in total;4hrs hickory smoking, + 12hrs at 225f

Pork reached 195f 30 mins before the briskets hit 185f. FTC for 4 hours. I know have a lot of meat to eat.

OldHickory

Looks as if the cook turned out real good.  That should hold you for a little while. ;)
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

watchdog56

Wow that should last a while.