BBQ Guru and Raptor

Started by lvigil, July 09, 2005, 06:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvigil

I have been considering the guru with raptor.  How does it maintain the temp you set?  Is there an additional heating element inside the BS?  As of now my BS barely gets over 200 deg f.   Will this guru allow me to get higher temps?

Just a newbie with some questions that the experts can answer.

Watch Out!! Hot and Spicy (<:}
New Mexico "Land of Enchantment"

Bad Flynch

I use this combination product and it works well. I believe that it is a small, single-purpose computer; perhaps it is only a single chip. I has a meat probe and a sensor probe for the box. You can control the meat temperature for doneness and the box temperature for cooking differential. The chip in the little control box will regulate program the cooking after that.

As far as I can tell, it simply regulates the off and on cycling of the main heating element in the box. That is enough, because mine works very well, indeed.

There is an additional element inside the Bradley and most likely you do not have it turned up far enough (the slider control) or you do not have the damper closed enough or something on that order. You should have no trouble maintaining and adequate cooking temperature. However, an adequate cooking temperature may only be 205 degrees F, anyway. Close the damper until it is only 1/8 to 1/4 open, and it should maintain a higher temperature. If it does not, then the bottom slider control is not set high enough, or the element is not working properly, or there is a leak in the door gasket, etc.

Hope that helps.

B.F.
B.F.

nsxbill

You can see review for them here.  I use it when I smoke to save lots of energy, worry and time.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

robs

On a side note, your smoker should get hotter than that.

1. Check your box thermometer against a known good one.
2. If it was me, I'd call Bradley. You may need a new heating element, slider, or safety cut-off switch?

This is just my opinion.

rob

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Bad Flynch on July 09, 2005, 08:46:57 PM

As far as I can tell, it simply regulates the off and on cycling of the main heating element in the box. That is enough, because mine works very well, indeed.

Though unit regulates the heat by turning the heating element on/off; it seems to be more then just a simple on/off cycle. When the cabinet temperature reaches the set temperature, watch either the fan light on the competitor or the light on the Raptor (the lights that indicate the heating element is on). The light continuously pulses to maintain a steady temperature. Mine usually maintains a cabinet temperature of +/-2°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)