Low temp, won't climb on Bradley 4-Rack digital smoker

Started by banff_springs, March 12, 2016, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banff_springs

If I don't get bad luck, I have no luck.  My most recent issue was the micro-switch for the pucks.  Needed to perform openheart surgery on the smoke generator.  micro-switch successfully replaced.  Am happy to report, currently is now operating as advertised however, since then, I now have a low-temp issue.  I pre-heated the BDS for 30-min's and display shows temp of 65*F.  It is cool (not cold) outside, slight breeze (have smoked in much colder with no issue).  Doing much research, I attempted many fixes posted on the forums here;

1. Unplugged main wire from back of cabinet, plugged back in, unplugged the SG, plugged back in, no luck;
2. Took SG apart to verify wires - all connected and seem solid.

I JUST had it apart not too long ago and coming up to temp wasn't an issue,...now pucks are feeding and temps won't rise.  Vent on top is at 1/2.

Can anyone else suggest any other home testing/fixing before I go and purchase even more parts?  I have to be honest, for the little that I do use my BDS (and the food IS amazing), this has become a little bit of a money pit and not impressed.  Every time I turn around, something seems to go wrong with it.  This is my 2nd complete smoke generator, first micro-switch and feeder arm, second electrical plug on the cabinet (last one melted, almost burnt smoker to the ground had I not caught it in time).   Just not sold on it's reliability.  I am sure I MAY be the "odd duck" that got one from a "bad batch" but, in the end, for as little as I do use it and care for it, it SHOULD work each and every time I use it.

Wildcat

Does the heating element get hot? If so, does it glow red? Does the puck burner get hot?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

banff_springs

Heating element doesn't glow red, puck burner operates as advertised.

Habanero Smoker

If you still have the same cabinet that had the plug melted, the problem may be in the cabinet. If it is still the same cabinet, did you ever find out the cause of that apparent short? Have you plugged the cabinet directly into a wall outlet, to see if the element glows? To do this test you need to use a desktop computer power cord.

If it doesn't glow when plugged directly into a outlet, your inline fuse may have blown or a wire may be loose somewhere inside the cabinet. if the fuse  is blown you will not get any power to the element. You can locate that fuse by taking the back off the cabinet. You will need a multi meter to test the continuity to see if the fuse is good; you can't tell by looking at it. Or you can use a 14ga or larger wire, to bypass the fuse to see if power is going to the element, but use this for test purposes only.

While the back is opened, check to see if any of the wires show any signs of overheating.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

banff_springs

Thanks for the advice.  Will check out the element to see if it's at least getting warm, and if not, will then check the fuse.  No, never did figure out why the plug melted, was a simple fix however.  It is the same cabinet.  Just find it odd as it was working.

You wouldn't happen to know where to get an Individual Parts Breakdown of the smoke generator or cabinet would you?  Might be helpful when ordering parts.  I just have the generic parts list.  When I own tools, equipment, etc I like to have the complete tool breakdown.

Will post back with my findings.  You've given me some stuff to look at/for.

Habanero Smoker

I've never seen a parts breakdown. The closest I've seen is a Component's List. Which is far from a comprehensive list.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

banff_springs

Well, after taking your advice, I decided to re-test the element by plugging cable directly into it and leaving it for more than 2 min's.  It DID become glowing red after giving it some time so, I have deducted that the element is fine and that would also rule out the fuze for the element so, back to the SG I go.  I took it apart, didn't see anything right off however, just as I started to put the cover back on, a Red wire was barely hanging on.  It also has a waterproof casing around the female plug end of the wire.  It left me with the impression the wire was connected but, was not.  The way the wire was routed, it also appeared that there could be too much pressure put on it once reassembly was attempted which would result in the wire popping off.  I re-routed the wire, closed up the SG, plugged it back in as per manufacturer's instructions and am pleased to say that my temp's are minimum double what I was able to get it to do yesterday.  I shut it down and chalked it up as "a win".  I still have an element on order, if it goes, I have my spare parts handy.

I wrote to Bradley wrt their Parts List.  No response, but it is Sunday.   Hope to get a positive answer.  If so, will post it here for all to refer to.

Thank You for your help.

Habanero Smoker

Great to hear you are back up and running. Good troubleshooting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.