Thinking about Tri-tip

Started by AllDayFoodie, March 17, 2016, 06:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllDayFoodie

Hello all, I'm thinking about doing a tri-tip for a little going away party. I've never done one before and haven't purchased one yet so I don't know how much it'll weigh yet. Any ideas, rub/smoke/time/IT? Any info would be great!

beefmann

a good tri tip  with some marbling and jans rub is good,,, smoke for no more then 2 hours at 225 F... take to 140 to 145 F  I.T , Check at 140 F ... a good medium cook is good on tri tip... any more and it  tends to dry  out in my  opinion

TMB

Best way is like this  ;)  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=3992.msg47414#msg47414

I know it's from another forum but this looks outstanding!    I did a trisket but mine didn't look near this good

Cook just like a brisket
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Salmonsmoker

I like to do my tri-tip like you would do a thick steak. IMHO cooking a tri-tip like a brisket is ruining a very nice piece of meat. (sorry TBM :() I take mine to an IT of 130-135F and then reverse sear after resting the meat to get that nice malliard reaction. A reverse sear is doing the sear at the finish rather than the start of the cook. You wouldn't be able to do the sear in the Bradley, but you can do the finish under the broiler of your oven or gasser BBQ on high heat. It only takes 1-1 1/2 minutes per side. The rest has been done previously, so it can be served immediately.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

TMB

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on March 18, 2016, 07:26:22 AM
I like to do my tri-tip like you would do a thick steak. IMHO cooking a tri-tip like a brisket is ruining a very nice piece of meat. (sorry TBM :() I take mine to an IT of 130-135F and then reverse sear after resting the meat to get that nice malliard reaction. A reverse sear is doing the sear at the finish rather than the start of the cook. You wouldn't be able to do the sear in the Bradley, but you can do the finish under the broiler of your oven or gasser BBQ on high heat . It only takes 1-1 1/2 minutes per side. The rest has been done previously, so it can be served immediately.
Don't be sorry, I do a lot of tri-tips reverse sear and love them!    I was pointing out a way he may never heard of  ;) ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: TMB on March 18, 2016, 07:32:16 AM
Quote from: Salmonsmoker on March 18, 2016, 07:26:22 AM
I like to do my tri-tip like you would do a thick steak. IMHO cooking a tri-tip like a brisket is ruining a very nice piece of meat. (sorry TBM :() I take mine to an IT of 130-135F and then reverse sear after resting the meat to get that nice malliard reaction. A reverse sear is doing the sear at the finish rather than the start of the cook. You wouldn't be able to do the sear in the Bradley, but you can do the finish under the broiler of your oven or gasser BBQ on high heat . It only takes 1-1 1/2 minutes per side. The rest has been done previously, so it can be served immediately.
Don't be sorry, I do a lot of tri-tips reverse sear and love them!    I was pointing out a way he may never heard of  ;) ;)

Ah so, Daniel-san. Must have balance! :)

OldHickory

I take mine to a IT of 124 and foil for a 10 min rest.  IT continues to rise to around 130 -- rare, the way we like it.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

AllDayFoodie

Awesome tips, thank you all!! I'll be smoking/reverse searing it next weekend and I'll be sure to post pics!

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: AllDayFoodie on March 19, 2016, 02:58:40 PM
Awesome tips, thank you all!! I'll be smoking/reverse searing it next weekend and I'll be sure to post pics!

Looking forward to the post cook report.