Smoked Duck with Honey Balsamic Glaze

Started by MrRaven, November 25, 2012, 01:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrRaven

We went a little non traditional for our American thanksgiving dinner and had this wonderful smoked duck with honey balsamic glaze - yes, I know I am Canadian, but I will use any excuse to make a big meal and watch football!!!

Smoked it for 4 hours at 225F with hickory pucks and it turned out awesome. The honey balsamic glaze was the perfect sweetness to have on the skin.

http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2012/11/smoked-duck-with-a-honey-balsamic-glaze/

mikecorn.1

Man, that looks good! Nice color 

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

rooster85

That's a fantastic looking bird. I believe I'll be trying that here real soon.

KyNola

That is a beautiful duck and I am sure it was as delicious as it is beautiful.  Quick question for you.  Ducks typically have a thick fat layer beneath the skin.  Did the fat render out while in the smoker and if so, did you have a lot of fat in the water bowl and drip tray?  If it didn't render out, did you still have a fairly thick layer of fat underneath the skin?

I would genuinely like to try this recipe and would like to know about the fat prior to taking it on.

Nicely done.

Silvergrizz

That looks awesome, did you start with a store bought frozen duck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodlawnSmoker

I'm going to try this recipe this weekend.  The interesting thing is that I've used recipes from this gentleman's website before and had no idea he was a member here.  I love duck but I've yet to smoke one.

Wildcat

Quote from: Silvergrizz on November 28, 2012, 07:52:19 AM
That looks awesome, did you start with a store bought frozen duck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry, I have found that if you slit the skin  in several locations on top and bottom, the fat renders nicely. At least on a  wood burning grill. Never tried duck in my OBS.
Rick
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/