Smoking turkey this weekend

Started by ghosttown, March 21, 2016, 03:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

I am going to do a basic brine I think salt and water, I may add other ingredients not sure yet. However do people still inject the bird also if they brine? I just don't want it to be to salty. Can I inject it with butter half way through the cook?

Forgot to mention should I keep the bird vertical up or lay it on the racks. Any benefits between the two?

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Wildcat

You may not need to brine if store bought. All the birds I have seen have already been injected to increase weight. Read the packaging. I just rub and smoke. Jan's rub is great.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TMB

You could do what I call two stick turkey.

Melt two sticks butter mix in two Tbs Mrs Dash melt way then inject into the turkey.   Brush the half stick butter on the bird Z it cooks
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

ghosttown

K thanks guys, didn't realize the turkey would say that on the packaging. If it is brined already would it hurt if I brined it again? I want to fallow Malcom Reed receipt https://youtu.be/PbU0texTuug

Habanero Smoker

It depends on what the label states. If it states something like; "Contains up to 5% water, salt, sodium phosphate....", that phrase may also begin with "All Natural" if just salt, and not the sodium phosphate is listed. With these type of turkeys you will get no or little benefit from brining; unless you do a brining method Pachanga uses Brine Pachanga; but the time frame doesn't allow you to use this method. If you attempt to brine, and the salt concentration is greater than the brine concentration the turkey was injected with, there the possibility you can make the turkey saltier. It may be a waste of materials and time, to attempt to brine already enhanced meat. Also kosher poultry will not benefit from brining, since they are dried brined with salt during processing.

If the label states something like; "All natural. Up to 3% water added"; those can be brined.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ghosttown

K thanks, got my turkey yesterday and it says contains up to 6% water 

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ghosttown

Thanks

WoodlawnSmoker

Let us know how it turns out!  Are you from Ottawa Ghost?

ghosttown

Will do and yes I am

cathouse willy

This thread sounded so good I smoked a 10 lb bird. Three hours of maple and finished in the oven, no brine

ghosttown

Looks really good, good job. Will post some pictures when I start on Monday.

ghosttown

Here are some pictures, the turkey turned out amazing

Brine it for 24hours

Add some rub and also injected the turkey

Total cook time was 4hrs and Smoked for 2hrs (Apple and Pecan). When temp was 145 I put it in the oven at 350 to get the skin crispy and pulled it when breast was at 165 and the legs (dark meat) was at 175.

cathouse willy

That looks wonderful,when's dinner?

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712