What's needed?

Started by joaxe, March 28, 2016, 05:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joaxe

Bradley Forum peeps,

My father-in-law wants to cold-smoke some salmon.  He has a propane smoker but asked me about cold-smoking with my Bradley (I have the BS611).  I've never cold-smoked anything.  I've only used it so far for making deer snack sticks.  I just made some with 21mm casings, LEM Backwoods Hot seasonings and 5lbs. of super lean venison.  Those turned out great!

I told him that he could probably use his smoker if he purchased a cold-smoke adapter and a smoke generator.  However, I'm a little confused about how to hook everything up.  Can one of you experts advise me on how to cold-smoke using the Bradley smokers?  What is needed and how is it all connected?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Aero Joe
"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"

Habanero Smoker

There are a couple of ways you can cold smoke with the Bradley. One way is to build or purchase a cold smoking adapter. Another way is to leave the generator attached and add ice to the cabinet. It is important to keep the cabinet temperature below 90°F. I personally like to keep the cabinet to 70°F, when I can. A digital probe thermometer is important if you want to correctly monitor the cabinet temperatures.

Making your own can be very simple or you can make a more "advanced" setup. The picture below shows a cold smoke setup made from plywood. Others have made them from metal mailboxes to a variety of objects.

I generally make mine out of a cardboard box. Hopefully the below link works. If not I can post the instructions, or you can search this forum for the various types of cold smoke setups members have come up with.
Cardbaord Cold Smoke Setup

If you don't want to or don't have the time to make or purchase a cold smoke setup, you can use ice to keep the temperature down. Using blocks of ice works better than ice cubes. You can make blocks of ice by freezing water in used 1 quart milk cartons, or freezing water in food storage containers works well. You can also use reusable freezer packs, but place them in sealable bags to keep them clean from smoke. The cold ice will impede the flow of smoke so keep your vent wide open. Even with the cold smoke setup, keep your vent wide open.

The ice may not be enough to keep the temperature below 90°F, so you may either have to wedge the door open a little, such as sticking a pencil in the door to prevent it from closing completely, or occasionally opening the door to let some of the heat to escape. Of coarse smoke will also escape, but there will be plenty of smoke to flavor you salmon.

Some other tips:
•Make sure the area you setup the generator on is level.
•Smoke during the cooler parts of the day, early morning, late evening or night time.
•Keep the cabinet in the shade, out of sunlight.
•During warmer days, ice can be placed inside the cabinet to help keep the temperature down.
•Unplug the heating element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

joaxe

Thanks, Habanero!  That's just what I was looking for!  I was also reading a lot on the Forum about this and found that link you included.  I've forwarded this on to my father-in-law.

Thanks again, my friend!

"Aero" Joe
"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome.

You can make great cold smoke salmon using the Bradley. You may want to checkout SpyGuy's cold smoked salmon.
Best Smoked Salmon (LOX)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

joaxe

Thanks again, Habanero!  My FIL is ordering a smoke generator and will build a cold smoking adapter and attach those to his existing smoker.

I really appreciate the help!  :)

"Aero" Joe
"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"

Monch

Slightly late to this party, and not a routine poster.....

I had great luck cold-smoking lox and cheese....two separate smokes...using foil pans filled with ice.

I took two...maybe three....foil pans designed to fit half a steam tray....9x13?

Filled them with water and froze them solid.

The ice went on the lower racks and the food on the upper.

Closed the door and turned on the smoke generator, only.

As God is my witness, it never got above 37F inside the Bradley....with no modifications to the smoker....

Lots of ways to skin cats!

Smoker John

Quote from: Monch on April 14, 2016, 01:14:38 PM
Slightly late to this party, and not a routine poster.....

I had great luck cold-smoking lox and cheese....two separate smokes...using foil pans filled with ice.

I took two...maybe three....foil pans designed to fit half a steam tray....9x13?

Filled them with water and froze them solid.

The ice went on the lower racks and the food on the upper.

Closed the door and turned on the smoke generator, only.

As God is my witness, it never got above 37F inside the Bradley....with no modifications to the smoker....

Lots of ways to skin cats!

Sounds like a good way to do it. Did you do this in the summer?
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Monch

Smoker John:

One was in the spring and one was in early summer.

If memory serves, I compensated for the ambient temp by putting in three blocks of ice instead of two....stacked two trays on one rack.

Gotta hand it to Bradley....these cases are well insulated!

For clarity, we are talking WISCONSIN weather....not Texas or Florida.....