Smoking pulled pork and the heating element went out

Started by BrianC, April 08, 2016, 05:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianC

I have been smoking 60# of pork and my heating element broke. Last I checked was midnight last nite and the meat temp was at 180 and everything was working. I woke up 5 hours later and the temp in the meat temp was at 140. I wrapped the meat in tin foil and put in the oven to bring temp back up to 205. I guess my biggest question is 'Will the meat be okay?' I don't want to make anyone sick :'(

TMB

Quote from: BrianC on April 08, 2016, 05:30:12 AM
I have been smoking 60# of pork and my heating element broke. Last I checked was midnight last nite and the meat temp was at 180 and everything was working. I woke up 5 hours later and the temp in the meat temp was at 140. I wrapped the meat in tin foil and put in the oven to bring temp back up to 205. I guess my biggest question is 'Will the meat be okay?' I don't want to make anyone sick :'(
140 is a holding temp for meat so you should be ok.  Had this happen to me with another cooker and it worked out fine.  Only difference was the IT of the meat I cooked was 146 when I found out not 140
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

beefmann

you will be safe... you hit the top end of the danger zone.. the danger zone is 40 to 140 F in a 4 hour time frame... also the element may have went out with in the last hour or  so,,, My feelings is you  are  safe,,, continue on  cooking

KyNola

Did I read your original post correctly that the internal temperature of the meat was at 180 when you last checked when everything was still working?  If so, you are completely safe.  Technically the pork was done then.

TMB

Quote from: BrianC on April 08, 2016, 05:30:12 AM
read it again Kynola ;) ;) ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

BrianC