Author Topic: No Smoke, but Burner is Warm  (Read 1728 times)

Offline carlmal

No Smoke, but Burner is Warm
« on: April 10, 2016, 10:37:36 am »
Hi smokers!
I have the Bradley Counter-Top Convection smoker fo a couple years now and am getting some great results.

Last time I used it I was smoking 8 beef plate ribs, which need 280 degrees and a t least 6 hours.  I noticed I had some unburnt pucks at the end of the smoking session.

Yesterday, I wanted to see if it was working properly, so I didn't turn the oven on, just the smoke and let it run for an hour.  It was cycling pucks, but they were unburnt and there was no smoke.

The unit was warn near where the pucks are, so I expect the element isn't burnt out, just not hot enough to ignite the pucks?  Is it worth taking it apart and trying to figure out what is going on?  Any hot tips appreciated,
Carl

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
Re: No Smoke, but Burner is Warm
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 01:00:30 pm »
Hi Carl;

Welcome to the forum.

Not many have the countertop model. You should give Bradley a call and see what they can do for you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline Smoker John

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:50:37 am »
I wonder if the burner has crud built up on it & needs to be cleaned off? Saber4 devised a method on how he cleaned it. It is on this thread.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=33159.0
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Offline carlmal

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:35:02 am »
From the sounds of things, it might just be my problem.  I should've mentioned, the pucks didn't burn, but one edge is lightly scorched.  I will try to clean without taking it apart and report back.
Thanks

Offline carlmal

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:38:17 am »
I tried the Sabre4 putty knife trick and blew it out with 150psi, then ran for an hour, same result.  Pucks were not even scorched.  I phoned Bradley and told them I got it as a gift in Aug 2014 and had about 100 hours on it.  They said it sounds like the puck igniter is bad.  They are offering me a rebate on the Bradley original or digital.

I'm going to take advantage of the offer and get the 4 rack digital.  My bro-in-law and buddy at work here have one and love it.  I guess the only thing I will miss about my BCS is that I drilled a hole in my garage wall for the smoke exhaust tube as we like to hang out in the garage in the winter and smoke cigars and meat.  Maybe i will be able to adapt the exhaust hose somehow.

Thanks to Bradley for looking after me, great Canadian company.

Cheers,
Carl

Offline Smoker John

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:21:46 am »
Thanks for the update Carl. Too bad there were issues with the 2 rack, I like the portability of it and use it frequently and so far I've been lucky but I do need to clean it. I'm happy with my digital, happy smoking.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Offline MaxQc

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 09:22:08 pm »
ive found that when the oven element is off the smoke is very low. You should do a test with the oven on.